Wellsummer hen blown up?!?!?

The pic doesn't indicate much more than she is obviously not feeling well. Never a good sign in chickens. She needs to be removed from the flock. You will be able to see the air under her skin or as roxyblue said she will feel mushy.

If you have a heat lamp put that in there too......it's a good thing there doesn't seem to be air in her, however that might work. If you have yogurt on hand try feeding her some, It's a good protein source and antibiotic.

I brought her inside to try and warm her up, and seperate her from the rest of the flock, I don't have any yogurt, but if she doesn't start getting better soon I'll go get some. She doesn't feel mushy at all.

Silkie Villa....keep us posted......I have a RIR the exact same way thursday...I separated her and put her in her own space under heat lamp....plenty of food and electrolytes in water and as of today she looks like a whole different chicken. (well really she doesn't know she is a chicken...but you know what I mean.)

Roxyblue...if you see this...when you say, "feel mushy"...I understand what you mean by if either of our sick hens felt that way what do you suspect...and what would be your next move?

Sounds good. Please keep us posted. And if she isn't drinking I might try to get some fluids into her. (bread soaked in milk) and maybe some electrolytes.

Sometimes chickens act/ or get sick with something that is unexplainable, I've never seen or heard of anything like this. The advise that I've given is what i would do in this situation, this year alone many of my chickens have gotten sick or been sick when they came to me. I have done A LOT of research about sick chicken care. And to save you guys the valuable time of researching all of this while your chickens lives are on the line, I post what I have learned. I hope my advise has helped and if you guys keep me and the others posted we may be able to help you even more. Good luck both of you!
-Roxy

I think you did the right thing to start. Separating her from the others and keeping her warm is a good idea. It will give you a chance to observe her eating, drinking, movement, poops and any other symptoms. Then you can post any observations here to get more help. Chickens sometimes puff up their feathers when they are not feeling well. you can feel her belly just in case there is a stuck egg. Look her over for any parasites. At this point it is hard to say what is bothering her.

Chickens act like that when they don't feel well. Just for starts I would check her for mites/lice, has she ever been wormed? She could be egg bound, feel lower part of abdomen for anything that feels like an egg also check her vent. Also check her crop for impaction/sour.

I don't have much experience but mine have always acted like that when they are egg bound. Sort of a blank stare and stand or sit around with tail down and feathers fluffed up. However, I realize those symptoms could also apply to other problems. Make sure she is at least drinking.

Back
Top Bottom