Welp, the HOA was notified

So sorry to hear this but at least you found a good home for them. In the meantime instead of maybe being a nuisance to your neighbors you could instead advocate to become a member of the HOA board (and becoming a nuisance won't get you there)
I agree... Take this painful experience and don't let it harden your heart, instead take the pain and let it make solid the compassion and empathy your love for those feathered ladies gave you.

Individuality is a cornerstone of our communities. Compassion can be too. Take the pain and do something great with it... :hugs

Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9
What does the HOA guidelines/rulebook have written? Try and see if there is a loop hole? A lot of people can get around HOAs laws by following them to the letter. Example: Maybe the rule says "no chickens in backyard". your chickens can be moved into the garage or side yard, but not the back. You could pay to have a lawyer read it over and see if there are any loop holes too. Otherwise, best option would be getting a large group of the HOA community on board with getting the HOA board to change the rules.

I specifically said in one of my posts to this thread that yes, I knew I was playing with a ticking time bomb and mostly right now I am just angry that my chickens were only a problem after this many years, and also that whoever apparently has a problem with them didn't come to me first.

Anyway, the update is that the HOA board 'can't make exceptions' for the chickens being support for my medical condition (severe food allergies). (Except, you know, for the guy in the first house on the street with a non-functioning car in his driveway, and all the privacy fences that violate the very strict regulations regarding privacy fencing--much stricter than the animal regulations, etc...). Followed by a 'when can we expect you to comply?' and a 'I'm sure a wildlife rescue will be able to take them.' uh-huh.

I was very lucky to find a new home for my healthy hens with someone my parents know. The ill hen may have a home as well but I'm waiting for a final word on that situation, otherwise most likely I will have her euthanized. Not my ideal ending for her, but one that honestly would have come sooner or later even if I had been able to keep her.

So since I can't have my chickens any more because whatever reason they don't want chickens, they will instead get the kitschiest chicken yard art I can find, and lots of it. Gay pride chicken flags, sparkly chicken sculptures, spinny chicken wind discs, whatever I can find, it's going in my yard. Petty revenge mode activate!
And the HOA won't be able to do anything about it because none of it is a 'business sign' and it will be well within the easements on my property.
Also my backyard will now be fully dedicated to my garden/orchard. And no HOA board member will get to have any of the apples or peaches when they come in, so there!
Oh, I absolutely must have a gay pride chicken flag!

@SueT lol I like it :p

I have shockingly been encouraged by supposedly upright community citizens (family members and a coworker) to continue with the chicken disobedience and rearrange my yard/work on installing a 'privacy fence' of a garden, and get more hens in the near future (I've had them suggest anywhere from 2 years to 2 months in the future :p). I think I'll concentrate on the gay chicken wrath yard art...at least for now...
(I think my mom wants her source of free eggs back.)

gay chicken wrath
While I'm sure of a typo.....
The Muppets Laughing GIF

Back
Top Bottom