Welsh Harlequin Breed Club

IowaBlueCurt

Songster
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
This thread is designed to accomplish two main critera-

1) Organize breeders of Welsh Harlequins who are interested and dedicated to the development of a breed club for the Welsh Harlequin.

2) Once interested parties have come together, to establish a club, set up a website, and establish club officials.

If you are interested in participating in this groudbreaking work, please join this chat.

I would like to see breeders come together to support the Silver Welsh Harlequin, gain acceptance in the SOP for the Gold Harlequin, and promote the establishment of new varieties (ex. Blue Harlequin, Lavendar Harlequin, etc.) Obviously our focus would be on the two varieties we currently have and the promotion of both would be of the highest priority. I envision a club where the Silver and Gold Harlequins are supported and promoted, while at the same time new visionaries for the breed can call the club "home". If this sounds like something you're intersted in, let's begin!

So, are you in?

Possibly, I see little point in promoting any other varieties until both varieties they are currently in are both accepted and shown. We are promoting golds heavily currently and have a backing already from other breeders and even brought up the topic of standardization with the IWBA. Currently our goals are mainly still working with the silvers but promote and improve our golds. As long as it doesn't go off the deep end with new varieties L&R, we are interested.

Currently I'm only raising the Golds and showing them here in Iowa with the hope of increasing awareness of the variety. I obtained my stock from Holderread's show line and the few I saved back are very nice. Typey and colored well. I would like to see a club really focus on the Silver and Gold personally. There is A LOT of misconception about what a Welsh should look like, and I think this is where a club could come in real handy to help dispell misconceptions. What we are seeing from hatcheries is nothing but a "snowy" in standard size. If we were to start up a club we could use the website to educate breeders and new comers to the breed on what they should be looking for in the Welsh. What are you thoughts on that?

You mentioned you have a backing of other breeders, is this something they would be interested in helping to create? Would you be willing to direct them to this thread or contact them about their potential participation?

they look lovely i love welsh harls but trust me the gold type are the proper harls .im welsh by the way ive heard so many storys our harls just won 1st place in builth wells in the uk.i know they need all the help they can get atm thats why we are registered keepers of them in the uk.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! I personally prefer the gold phase and have enjoyed raising them for a couple years now. Unfortunately in the US there are many "welsh harlequins" that do not resemble the color or type at all, and it seems at the moment that most are of this unfinished type.

Hello, I am a new raiser of ducks. I like the idea of saving the Welsh Harlequin duck breed and they are great utility birds. I have 3 WH ducks and 1 drake which I purchased from Metzer farms last spring. I live in the city. I figure I could keep up to 8 ducks, in 2 groups with my current setup. I have hatched some eggs in an incubator and now have some ducklings as well which I will have to select breeders from. I am not sure how devoted I can be but I did take the time to join the Backyard chicken community to join this discussion... so that should count for something. I used to breed rabbits so am somewhat familiar with breeding techniques and terms.

Hello,  I am a new raiser of ducks.  I like the idea of saving the Welsh Harlequin duck breed and they are great utility birds.  I have 3 WH ducks and 1 drake which I purchased from Metzer farms last spring.  I live in the  city. I figure I could keep up to 8 ducks, in 2 groups with my current setup. I have hatched some eggs in an incubator and now have some ducklings as well which I will have to select breeders from.  I am not sure how devoted I can be but I did take the time to join the Backyard chicken community to join this discussion... so that should count for something.   I used to breed rabbits so am somewhat familiar with breeding techniques and terms.     
Are you selling some Welsh Harlequin duckling?

Yes, I am trying to sell some. Right now I have one duck, twelve weeks old, which would be a good layer but I would not use her for breeding because she has yellow on her beak(a flaw for this breed). I also have 3 ducks and 3 drakes, about eight weeks old all of which would make decent breeders as far as I know. And I have 3 eggs in an incubator set to hatch in about 4 days. I am located in Illinois.

Yes,  I am trying to sell some.  Right now I have one duck, twelve weeks old, which would be a  good layer but I would not use her for breeding because she has yellow on her beak(a flaw for this breed).  I also have 3 ducks and 3 drakes, about eight weeks old all of which would make decent breeders as far as I know.  And I have 3 eggs in an incubator set to hatch in about 4 days.  I am located  in Illinois.
I live in NY that's to far :(. I am going to buy some duckling in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom