Welsh Harlequin Coloring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Nov 11, 2011.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have 3 welsh harlequins that are currently laying. They are between 6 and 7 months old, 2 from a hatchery and 1 from a friend.
    I know there are 2 versions of this breed, silver and gold. However, does anyone have pictures of the differences?
    Here's a pic of mine. 2 are colored like the one on the left, light brownish with a dark bill. The other one doesn't have any brown at all and her bill is more yellow. I know the drakes have yellow bills, but I know for a fact that this is a hen!
    She also has the facial striping which I've read is not uncommon. Is she a silver and the other 2 gold?
    It doesn't matter to me, I basically just have them for eggs. I am just curious [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hi learycow

Beautiful welshies! If I look at them right it looks like you have a gold, and a silver in that pic.

This is my gold and silver pullets.
    [​IMG]
    Goldie the gold one is one the right, and silvia the silver one is on the left...

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    My computer is showing this pic too bright...so I can't see the differences in your girls. Check out Holderread Waterfowl pics on this link...it shows clearly the side by side difference in their Gold vs Silver Hens. I have both colors in hens from them, my gold has no blue in her wing...she's just a muddy brown where the reflective is on the Silver Welsh Harlequin.

Pic in the middle of the page.
    http://holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Great, thanks for the replies! I was expecting the gold to be a light brown color and the silver to be either gray or more white. But it looks like they are very similar in color, the only major difference is the wing color. I'll have to check and see what color mine's wings are. I didn't pay attention to that detail when I took the pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by