Welsh Harlequin sexing

ShyDucks

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
First time duck owner with 2 new Welsh Harlequin ducklings. Don't know if they are silver or gold welsh harlequins. Is it possible at this stage to sex them? They're 4 weeks old and not fully feathered. Can;t seem to load pics....

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!! I have three Welsh Harlequins and I hatched two from the incubator. It is possible to sex them at birth by beak color, but it only lasts a few days. (I did that when mine hatched and one had the pinkest beak-indicating a female-but it turned out to be a male) Your best bet is to wait until they are bit older and sex by voice. Males will have a raspy voice and females will have a QUACK! The wing color spectrum is the way to tell if you have silver or gold phase. I have gold phase females and a silver male. Here is a site to help with determining color. Remember it is hard to tell when they are young; you need to wait until they feather out a bit. Pictures are helpful.

Here is a great site. Enjoy your Welsh Harlequins!

http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html

So here are some pics. First one is when I got them at a week old. And then again at 4 weeks old. What I think is the female started quacking 2 days ago. What I think is the male is still 'peeping.'

Same thing happened to me. My female quacked and the drake peeped FOREVER. I think you have one of each :) They are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom