Welsh Harlequin

If anyone near Sherwood AR wants some Welsh Harlequin ducklings I have 4. I'm asking $6 each just to cover their costs. I believe I have 1 male and 3 females by beak sexing (not 100% accurate but like 90%).

They are a day old so I really want them to find new homes right away where they can imprint.

@PeepnQuack12 you can tell from birth with 90% accuracy by the beak. Males have dark bills females are pink with a dark tip.

Hi everyone.

So we got a Welsh Harlequin duckling a few weeks ago from mcMurray.. They only had straight run so we were not sure what we were getting. When it got to us it had a yellow beak with a dark tip so we assumed it was a hen, but now we are not sure anymore :)
It's 7 weeks old now, and it's beak is bright yellow as you can see in the picture. While some of the other breeds we got have started quacking, this one hasn't. It's still chirping though so I can't say it's definitely a raspy drake quack.
Does anyone have experience with Welsh Harlequin and is it too early to figure out the sex?
I believe we'll keep it no matter what, but depending on its sex we'll have to switch our Rouen Drakeling with a Hen (we'd like to avoid having 2 drake for 5 hens).

Thanks a lot :)

@arnaudgf I heard beak sexing was 90% but if it gets a green head you will know for sure. I would hope it was just molting and looking funny at the moment.

@arnaudgf especially since its body type feather. It also may be a cross breed, even hatcheries have accidents... some drakes are determined!

Depending on the age. Because this may not be the last feathering. but form current Bill color and head color, the one closest looks like a Drake. No curly tail feather yet, though. So....
At this point you may be able to voice sex it. If it has a harsh quiet raspy voice (Drake). If it quacks (Duck hen).

Good luck.

Liz

Back
Top Bottom