Welsumer X Barred Rock???

JeffOeuf

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Springfield Missouri
I have my cart before the horse, and I am literally counting chickens that haven't hatched yet, but I am wondering if anyone has crossed Welsumers with Barred Rocks and what the resulting chickens looked like and acted like.

I have a couple of Barred Rock hens, one of which has gone broody. I wanted more chickens, and decided to set her on some fertile eggs, instead of trying to introduce pullets to my two established girls. I got some Welsumer eggs from a BYC member and she has been sitting on them for about a week now. I am hoping to get an attractive and well behaved rooster from the dozen eggs she's on. If that happens, I am wondering what the next batch of chicks might look like.

I have my cart before the horse, and I am literally counting chickens that haven't hatched yet, but I am wondering if anyone has crossed Welsumers with Barred Rocks and what the resulting chickens looked like and acted like.

I have a couple of Barred Rock hens, one of which has gone broody. I wanted more chickens, and decided to set her on some fertile eggs, instead of trying to introduce pullets to my two established girls. I got some Welsumer eggs from a BYC member and she has been sitting on them for about a week now. I am hoping to get an attractive and well behaved rooster from the dozen eggs she's on. If that happens, I am wondering what the next batch of chicks might look like.

If you get lucky on and get the roo you're hoping for, you'll have lovely sex linked chicks with that crossing

If you cross a Welsummer rooster with a Barred Rock hen, you will get Black Sex Link offspring. Newly hatched male chicks will have a white spot on top of their heads and female chicks will lack the white spot. As the birds mature, the male offspring will have barring in their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom