Welsummer... are they normally smaller?

Apr 10, 2021
Sacramento, CA
I have a mixed flock, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Black Australorps, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Welsummer. Out of those breeds, I know the Welsummer will be smaller than the others when full grown, but is it normal at 6 weeks to have such a discrepancy in size? She eats well and isn't kept away from the food or water.

Hopefully these photos help show the difference:
20210502_113625.jpg
20210502_114952.jpg

That's not an alarming size difference. There's individual variation even between chicks of the same breed. I have 5 chicks of the same breed right now, of which 3 are the same size, 1 is much bigger, and 1 is much smaller, with the biggest one being about twice the size of the smallest one, even though they all hatched within the span of 1-2 days. I've noticed that the larger chick came out of a larger egg, and was always larger, and the smallest chick came out of a smaller egg (probably a pullet egg) so that's a factor, too. If the chick seems healthy and is otherwise thriving, I wouldn't worry about her size.

P.S. I had a runt in last year's brood who, as a youngling, was always significantly smaller than the others of the same breed, despite being male. He caught up in puberty and still grew up to be a beautiful, large, fluffy rooster :love Some of us short folks are always destined to be short, but I guess with chickens there's still a chance of catching up later :lol:

I've currently got a group of almost 6 week old chicks, two of which are Welsummers. Both Welsummers are a bit smaller than everyone else, and are slightly slower to feather out. They seem perfectly healthy, so it could very well be that they are just slow to mature.

I got a blue orpington, olive egger(maran mix), and a welsummer this year, at 6 weeks the welsummer was smaller, now at almost 12 weeks she's right up there with the other 2😁 I've never had a welsummer, she is so curious and sweet and makes the cutest little "duck" noises, lol

Attachments

• 20210505_165701.jpg
    20210505_165701.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I got a blue orpington, olive egger(maran mix), and a welsummer this year, at 6 weeks the welsummer was smaller, now at almost 12 weeks she's right up there with the other 2😁 I've never had a welsummer, she is so curious and sweet and makes the cutest little "duck" noises, lol
Ours acts like we're trying to murder her if we try to pick her up, but once she's perched on a hand she makes the cutest happy noises. She'll also fly up on our arms.

My first year with Welsummers. They can be chatty!

Back
Top Bottom