Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

After speaking to my father who hatched lots of chicken eggs in his day, he has told me to put the egg back in the nest, so I have and Jemima went straight pack in, she tapped the egg a couple of times and then shuffled about a bit and settled down. Bit worried about why she pecked the egg, but I think egg is in the best place. What a night I have had!

Don't question a bird that is literally bred to raise young birds. Relax and let nature take it's course. if you keep meddling this much YOU could be the one that causes issues.

Aaron

After speaking to my father who hatched lots of chicken eggs in his day, he has told me to put the egg back in the nest, so I have and Jemima went straight pack in, she tapped the egg a couple of times and then shuffled about a bit and settled down. Bit worried about why she pecked the egg, but I think egg is in the best place. What a night I have had!
Just keep an eye on her from a distance. Hopefully soon there will be a duckling. I'd still have a brooder ready, you just never know.

Thank you. I have inspected the dead duck a bit more today. It was quite gunky inside the egg and there was quite a lot of yolk at the end of the egg still attached to her. Such a shame, took her out of the egg and cleaned her up (I will bury her later). She was perfectly formed, not sure what went wrong here.

Don't question a bird that is literally bred to raise young birds. Relax and let nature take it's course. if you keep meddling this much YOU could be the one that causes issues.

Aaron
I can say from experience not every chicken, duck etc has that bred into them.

That is true, some are rotten parents, but constantly messing with the eggs, taking them out, putting them back in, out over night, back in, at best can just stress the momma out or do something bad to the egg

aaron

edit, if he's in THAT much of a hurry, since the thing already broke through the shell, just finish the job for it, whack it with a hammer a few times grab a wing or by the beak and yank that little brat out!! Yell at him for being late and put him in front of the dinner plate and remind him that there is a thin behaviorial line between being in front of and ON the dinner plate :)

Last edited:
That is true, some are rotten parents, but constantly messing with the eggs, taking them out, putting them back in, out over night, back in, at best can just stress the momma out or do something bad to the egg

aaron

edit, if he's in THAT much of a hurry, since the thing already broke through the shell, just finish the job for it, whack it with a hammer a few times grab a wing or by the beak and yank that little brat out!! Yell at him for being late and put him in front of the dinner plate and remind him that there is a think behaviorial line between being in front of and ON the dinner plate :)
Oh my, that was unnecessary

Back
Top Bottom