Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

I have checked the egg this morning. The shell has not come off much more, but I can see a white membrane with veins and she is opening and closing her bill. Does that mean she is still absorbing the yolk. She is still clicking and some cheering.

She is not working on the shell and her bill seems to be tucked under her wing. I don't want to help as I know that's wrong at the moment. Don't think she is struggling.

Yes yawning means she is still absorbing. Sounds like she is moving along nicely.

This is important that mama hen keeps humidity up under her so try not to take the egg out much .
Outside air? What was it breathing before it put the hole in the egg? It had to be getting oxygen from somewhere I'd imagine.

Aaron
Your suppose to be funny right? they have around 24 hr of oxygen after internal pip. So when they external pip they have outside oxygen which means they can breathe outside air now while working on opening that shell.

This hatching process isn't for the faint of heart that's for sure. Years ago one of my Muscovy sat on one egg she rarely came off of it so when time to hatch that poor duckling had a heck of a time getting out of her egg shell. It started hatching on a Friday and by Sunday had hardly made any progress so I would go and peel off tiny bits of shell to help it along It took from Friday till Monday for the duckling to finally get out and I just kept chipping small bits off until she was able to finish the job, the membrane had dried so she had a heck of a time.
With this duckling still having a white membrane sounds like everything is still okay, when it begins to turn brown and dries out then there are problems. I'd like to see it chipping off more shell but yawning is a very good sign it's absorbing which needs to finish before it hatches. Sometimes we start freaking out because they don't pop out like chicks and we jump in and help them hatch and then trouble they haven't absorbed the yolk which means they weren't ready to hatch. And we shouldn't have jumped in to help. There is sure a fine line there.
Hang in there hopefully much more progress today!
I don't have an incubator either much prefer my birds do the hatching and most of the time they do a great job of it.

Back
Top Bottom