Welsummer... Hen? Rooster? Fake rooster? 🤣

I see why you're confused. Black coloring on the breast does indicate cockerel for welsummers. But that bird looks like a pullet, if it's 4 months. A cockerel would have more sex specific coloring by then. The comb and wattles are a little red, but they don't scream "boy". So, my guess is she's an accidental cross breed, not 100% welsummer, or it's some weird hormonal thing. Let us know in a couple more months if we're right!

The second bird looks totally typical for a welsummer pullet, btw.

Here is a old picture of her before the black feathering appeared.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211013-181954_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211013-181954_Snapchat.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 7
Here are some more pictures!
In those photos, the bird in question is a pullet. The black on the breast is interesting and I can think of a couple of reasons. One being genetic...

@Amer, @The Moonshiner, and @nicalandia, could you report to the principal's office, please?
louis ck snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The other one could be a potential health issue. @Overo Mare and @Rhodebar Lover is it possible that an ovary could have been damaged or whatever and an excess of testosterone would allow the development of male-specific coloring?
Here is a old picture of her before the black feathering appeared.
Now that is interesting. It's been fifteen years since I've raised Welsummers, but that picture would have made me think cockerel...

In those photos, the bird in question is a pullet. The black on the breast is interesting and I can think of a couple of reasons. One being genetic...

@Amer, @The Moonshiner, and @nicalandia, could you report to the principal's office, please?

The other one could be a potential health issue. @Overo Mare and @Rhodebar Lover is it possible that an ovary could have been damaged or whatever and an excess of testosterone would allow the development of male-specific coloring?

Now that is interesting. It's been fifteen years since I've raised Welsummers, but that picture would have made me think cockerel...
Actually, the chick photo is a perfect example of a pullet. I own 5 Welsummers currently, all are girls and all looked like that as chicks. I do not think it is a damaged ovary either, mainly because they often come with other traits. Often with saddles, hackles, and larger combs/wattles. I think its just a breeding issue/fault, but I have never had a Welsummer like that, so I cannot say much.

I don’t understand why the black is showing up either, but your guess is as good as mine. Maybe it is some damage.

Back
Top Bottom