Welsummer layed a white egg??!

In the USA, the American Poultry Association only recognizes one color of Welsummer, and that's the only variety the hatcheries sell. You hen is not that color.

I notice that a bunch of the people commenting are in the US, but if you are somewhere else you may have access to Welsummers in other colors. Or if you are in the US, maybe the breeder is working with non-standard colors (not recognized by the APA.)
I'm in Australia, I'm pretty sure silver and patridge are the recognised ones, not sure if gold is yet

I've never heard of this method before.
I've been using it for 6 years without fail, I kinda just discovered it by accident whilst look inside eggs haha, the only thing is, green or blue eggs are harder to tell because of the colour

In the USA, the American Poultry Association only recognizes one color of Welsummer, and that's the only variety the hatcheries sell. You hen is not that color.

I notice that a bunch of the people commenting are in the US, but if you are somewhere else you may have access to Welsummers in other colors. Or if you are in the US, maybe the breeder is working with non-standard colors (not recognized by the APA.)
Sounds like the OP isn't in the states and their terms don't match our terms.

I've never heard of a gold, silver, or patridge Welsummer.
I immediately thought you could have mistaken it for a Brown Leghorn because Welsummers look very alike and the Leghorns lay white eggs.

I'm in Australia, I'm pretty sure silver and patridge are the recognised ones, not sure if gold is yet
That would definitely explain how you have a Welsummer hen in a color we Americans didn't recognize!

For the pale egg, I think it's just that she didn't put the brown coating on it. Eggs like that tend to have thinner-than-usual shells, so I don't know if it will be able to safely hatch a chick or not.

if we hatch it will the offspring produce white eggs?
The shell color on that egg will not change what genes the chick inherits. So no, a chick hatched from that egg will not produce white eggs (except for an occasional one like that, which can happen to any Welsummer hen hatched from a normal color Welsummer egg.)

It's simple really, if you put a light to the egg in a dark room it shows the inside of the egg, if the egg is white or yellow inside it won't hatch, if it's orange or red then it's fertilized
Not sure how your judging this but the eggs i‘ve hatched has not been accurate to what your saying. I had a orange egg which was not fertile in my most recent clutch.

A that's okay, I like the gold and silver variety better than patridge, patridge is the original one btw, they kinda look evil tho
I've never heard of a gold, silver, or patridge Welsummer.
I immediately thought you could have mistaken it for a Brown Leghorn because Welsummers look very alike and the Leghorns lay white eggs.

Not sure how your judging this but the eggs i‘ve hatched has not been accurate to what your saying. I had a orange egg which was not fertile in my most recent clutch.
It's never failed for me before, I've even put a white and yellow under a hen and they've never even grew, only the orange and red, so I'm just judging from experience that's obviously not as accurate as I thought😅

Back
Top Bottom