welsummer point of lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiedouglas, Sep 27, 2011.

1. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

any welsummer breeders know whats the typical age for point of lay? I've got two pullets around 6 months in age. They're about the same size as my almost 8 month olds who've been laying for awhile. They cluck and sing and have red combs, but don't squat and are very skittish.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine never start before 24 weeks old. I still have 1 wellie that I'm still waiting on at 29 weeks. But once they start, they are great layers!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Still waiting on my almost 26-week-old Welsummers also! They've had red combs for, well, it seems like forever. They still resist the cockerel's advances but he succeeds sometimes (although I suspect it has more to do with his perseverance than their willingness).

4. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Quote:I'm glad this is normal. My Welsummer (25 weeks) has had a large red comb and wattles for weeks. I was sure she would be the first in my flock to lay. But my Ameraucana and Barred Rock have started laying and nothing from the Wellie. I was starting to worry. Patience, patience, patience. That's my mantra.

5. marnold

marnold Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Did your Welsummer ever lay? I have 2 buff orpingtons and 1 welsummer all the same age (born 5/1/11) The Buffs started laying in October but my welsummer still has not laid at all. Does anyone have any thoughts? She's healthy, she eats, she is not a rooster...will she ever lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by