Welsummer pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksbratton, Jun 27, 2016.

1. ksbratton

ksbratton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2015
    Vandalia, OH
    This was supposed to be a sexed pullet, 5 weeks old. Any chance at all that there is still a chance or is this a total roo?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7479485/width/200/height/400[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

how old?

3. ksbratton

Nov 13, 2015
    Vandalia, OH

Just turned 5 weeks. Very submissive and quiet, not at all boisterous or needy as some roo's are. The comb, wattles, long legs and coloring is making me grow increasingly concerned however.

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

that is a bit young. when their feathers have come in (6-8 weeks) is the best time, but right now the comb says roo. that could change though!

5. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    I would say cockerel.

Dom

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree tje comb is leaning towards cockerel, you will also get a better indicator in the coming weeks if wattles start dropping...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Are those black feathers coming in on the chest? If so Id say cockerel for sure

8. ksbratton

Nov 13, 2015
    Vandalia, OH

The chest feathers are an amber color with the teeny tiniest marbling of black. But barely. Also, there are tiny waddles poking out. Thanks everyone for the input. It's just frustrating cuz this should have been one of the easiest breeds for the hatchery to sex :( How are Welsummer roo temperaments as a general? I know they're all different, but what's the general reputation of the breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by