Welsummer Roo or Pullet?

thechickfam

Chirping
May 17, 2015
This is our first post to Backyard Chickens. We bought our first chicks from a local hatchery and one of the chicks we picked up is a sexed Welsummer that was born on 4/20, named Piper. We have been looking at past threads that have been posted because we have a sneaking suspicion that we have a roo, instead of a pullet. The comb, the color of feathers starting to come in on the chest, and now the wattles are what we are noticing. We bought another chick that is a sexed Welsummer that was born on 5/11. Really hoping one of them is a pullet, since we cannot keep a rooster. Luckily, the hatchery will rehome any surprise roosters. Any help is appreciated as we are new to all of this. Thank you in advance.

Piper:

Chick #2:

Piper is a cockerel - the comb aside, that chest feathering is a sure sign. Do you have more current photos of the second chick or is it that much younger than the first that those are the most current? Honestly I'm surprised either was assessed as a pullet at hatch given the markings they showed.

Piper is a cockerel - the comb aside, that chest feathering is a sure sign. Do you have more current photos of the second chick or is it that much younger than the first that those are the most current? Honestly I'm surprised either was assessed as a pullet at hatch given the markings they showed.

The second one was born on 5/11. I felt more confident about the "V" on the head, but the eyeliner worries me.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens
smile.png
They still too young to sex, but the first is looking like an early blooming cockerel. To be sure post more pictures in a few weeks.

The hatchery said it was too young to sex Piper as well. We are in no rush to rehome. We honestly want to hear Piper crow for the first time as I think it would be a good learning experience for us. We have been noticing that Piper will run up to the other chicks and hit his chest to theirs. Is this another sign of a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom