Welsummer Roo x White Marans (plus other crosses)...I have questions šŸ˜

xXDestinyXx

Chirping
Feb 29, 2020
NE Arkansas
I know everyone here is a wealth of information and Iā€™d like some input from those who understand the genetics of chickens. ā˜ŗļø Iā€™ve tried the various calculators and umm, I havenā€™t a clue how to use them. šŸ™ˆ

We just successfully hatched our first batch of chicks starting yesterday (a few stragglers left lol) and we are SUPER excited!! šŸ¤© All the chicks are crosses since our only Roos are Welsummers šŸ„°. My question is, can yā€™all tell me if they will ALL be sex-linked and if so, what do I need to look for to determine whether theyā€™re male or female as far as markings or colorings, etc? The following is what we incubated:

-Welsummer Male x WHITE Marans Female

-Welsummer Male x White Leghorn Female

-Welsummer Male x Plymouth Barred Rock Female

-Welsummer Male x Sapphire Splash

**Notes**
ā€”The Sapphire Splashes are already a cross of a Sapphire Gem and Leghorn.

Any input is greatly appreciated! If further info is needed just tag me! šŸ˜

I will post pics afterwhile but man they are so adorable!! šŸ˜

Our Welsummer x White Marans threw ALL black looking ones...that look just like a Black Copper Marans šŸ˜‚. I would have thought surely weā€™d get at least ONE white or other color out of hers lol. We sat 7 of hers and all 7 hatched out healthy. šŸ„°

I know everyone here is a wealth of information and Iā€™d like some input from those who understand the genetics of chickens. ā˜ŗļø Iā€™ve tried the various calculators and umm, I havenā€™t a clue how to use them. šŸ™ˆ

We just successfully hatched our first batch of chicks starting yesterday (a few stragglers left lol) and we are SUPER excited!! šŸ¤© All the chicks are crosses since our only Roos are Welsummers šŸ„°. My question is, can yā€™all tell me if they will ALL be sex-linked and if so, what do I need to look for to determine whether theyā€™re male or female as far as markings or colorings, etc? The following is what we incubated:

**Notes**

White marans x - since none of the marans cross chicks turned out white, that means your hen is recessive white, which requires two copies to show. If a chicken has two copies of recessive white, it produces an all white bird no matter what, but if they only have one copy (like your chicks) the gene wonā€™t show up at all. The coloring of the marans x chicks will depend on what color is under their motherā€™s recessive white.

White leghorn x - leghorns have dominant white, so their chicks will basically look like messy red pyles with some scattered black feathers.

Barred rock x - black hens, black hens with red leakage, black barred roosters, and/or black barred roosters with red or silver leakage

Do you have pictures of the sapphire splashes?

White marans x - since none of the marans cross chicks turned out white, that means your hen is recessive white, which requires two copies to show. If a chicken has two copies of recessive white, it produces an all white bird no matter what, but if they only have one copy (like your chicks) the gene wonā€™t show up at all. The coloring of the marans x chicks will depend on what color is under their motherā€™s recessive white.

White leghorn x - leghorns have dominant white, so their chicks will basically look like messy red pyles with some scattered black feathers.

Barred rock x - black hens, black hens with red leakage, black barred roosters, and/or black barred roosters with red or silver leakage

Do you have pictures of the sapphire splashes?
Oh my gosh THANK YOU!!!! šŸ¤© That explains why all of our Marans x chicks are BLACK šŸ˜‚. One of them has a small red spot on her head šŸ„°. The males appear to have a white spot on their heads...which after my daughter did some digging, she found that a Welsummer x Black Copper Marans would be se linked with the females being black and the males having a white spot. Is this correct?

I canā€™t wait to see what our leghorns end up looking like! šŸ„° A couple of them have small black spots scattered so we knew theyā€™d be some sort of splashy type coloring.

Our 3 BR cross chicks are all black ā¤ļø so Iā€™m guessing theyā€™re all female!

I do have pics. I will list some in a separate post. šŸ˜ I SO appreciate your input!!

Oh my gosh THANK YOU!!!! šŸ¤© That explains why all of our Marans x chicks are BLACK šŸ˜‚. One of them has a small red spot on her head šŸ„°. The males appear to have a white spot on their heads...which after my daughter did some digging, she found that a Welsummer x Black Copper Marans would be se linked with the females being black and the males having a white spot. Is this correct?

I canā€™t wait to see what our leghorns end up looking like! šŸ„° A couple of them have small black spots scattered so we knew theyā€™d be some sort of splashy type coloring.

Our 3 BR cross chicks are all black ā¤ļø so Iā€™m guessing theyā€™re all female!

I do have pics. I will list some in a separate post. šŸ˜ I SO appreciate your input!!
That is not correct. Welsummer rooster x cuckoo marans hen gives you sex-linked chicks.

No problem. :)

6F54992C-59ED-443E-B1D8-DBA859DA865D.jpeg

White leghorn x

C0B11F7E-45B0-4E95-B6B0-9EE17A05688D.jpeg

(Same chick)

52B9191D-6DDF-42FD-9209-FA63616A92F3.jpeg

Splash x

91B7DBAC-0071-4F89-99C9-834D3A33B4D0.jpeg

(same chick...our daughter is happy if you canā€™t tell šŸ˜œ)

6DBC88A2-54A8-432D-8F09-1F1969D8C13D.jpeg
Marans x (female)
5D35F31B-9F80-4E89-B3D9-F361303FE33E.jpeg

Marans x (male?)

What weā€™ve noticed with the Marans is not only the white spot on top of their head, but also their beak is a different color than the femalesā€™ beaks.

I donā€™t guess I took a pic of a BR yet but will add one shortly.

**Notes**

-Welsummer Male x Plymouth Barred Rock Female gives you solid color sex link pullets and barred chicks with white heat spots .These are cockerels .I might add you may get various shades of brown and black chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom