Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or Light Brown Leghorn?

KABerries

Chirping
Feb 25, 2017
I received an assortment of rare chicks and brown egg laying chicks from Meyer Hatchery - 16 total. I'm trying to identify them now. I've got this adorable little girl who I can't decide if she's a Welsummer, a Speckled Sussex, or a Light Brown Leghorn. I'm leaning toward the Welsummer, as her coloring is a bit light for the other two.

(A few things she is not, as she was not "banded" by Meyer: Blue Orpington; Barnevelder; Frost White Legbar; Jubilee Orpington; Blue Copper Marans; Golden Cuckoo Marans; Black Copper Marans; White Marans; Blue Ameraucana; Swedish Flower; Cream Legbar; Patridge Penedesenca; Blue Splash Marans; Olive Egger.)

Anybody have an educated guess?
Yellow 1 002.jpg
Yellow 1 008.jpg
Yellow 1 009.jpg

While we're at it, here's another. Very similar looking, but with crisper, stronger markings and more black markings on face. She also has a white speckle on each eyelid (at first I thought it was in the eye, but it's a color patch on the eyelid). She's very sassy for a tiny chick
Green 1 003.jpg
Green 1 005.jpg
Green 1 008.jpg
, and actually looks more like the band-identified cream legbar (but, again, face markings more dramatic). Any suggestions on breed?

I agree with Crazy for Chickens.

It is too hard to tell with hatchery chicks as the markings won't be accurate.

Typically, Speckled Sussex should have beige legs while the Welsummer or Leghorn should have yellow...but that rule is broken consistently with hatchery stock.

So bib will not be an indicator either.

Give photos when juvenile feathers are fully in and so we can see earlobe colors.

Leghorn will have white earlobe while the Sussex or Welsummer will have red.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom