Welsummer Trio please tell me, do they look like good quality Wellies?

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
I just got this trio of Wellies yesterday. I am not concerned with having SQ, but I do want to have a nice quality, and I am aiming for the darker eggs. One hen laid an egg this morning, and it wasn't as dark as other Wellie eggs I've seen, and the speckles were light.

Are Wellies like Marans? Do they start out light in their cycle, then get darker? or lighter at the end of their cycle?

This is my Rooster
14550_100_5028.jpg

and here are some shots of the two hens. Not the best pics, but I will try to get better later.
14550_100_5041.jpg

14550_100_5031.jpg

They are all three super friendly and calm.

So much for maintaining my closed flock. Sigh. I have them quarantined for now. I'll be watching them closely for the next 30 days.

As for most cases, the Wellies are darker in the beginning of their cycle and get lighter toward the start of their molt cycle. I cull all pullets that has a light colored egg, speckles or not. Sometimes you might find those colors of eggs from hatchery bred birds.

They are nice looking Welsummers.

They do get lighter at the end of their cycle, but IME they can ALSO darken up quite a bit over their first few pullet eggs. I wouldn't personally make any final judgments about egg color until they've been laying for at least a coupla weeks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom