Welsummer vs Bielefelder

9A3806CF-2681-46DC-8A41-9EE7C91494D5.jpeg

Nettie’s egg with my Easter Egger’s and Dorking’s eggs. Also if you wanted to add a white/cream laying hen, may I suggest the Dorking? They’re a beautiful and friendly breed that’s good for backyard settings, and I think the white makes the other colors pop. ☺️

Attachments

• 01467380-AAF2-4AE6-B54F-067FC0C2D8BC.jpeg
    01467380-AAF2-4AE6-B54F-067FC0C2D8BC.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 2903712
Nettie’s egg with my Easter Egger’s and Dorking’s eggs. Also if you wanted to add a white/cream laying hen, may I suggest the Dorking? They’re a beautiful and friendly breed that’s good for backyard settings, and I think the white makes the other colors pop. ☺️
Ooh the white is pretty with the dark color! Thank you I’ll have to look into them too!

I'm new to chickens and I have a variety but I do have two Bielefelder (one roo and one pullet). Both are fantastic so far. They are great foragers as they do love to eat! The girl is a HUNTER! Always the first to find bugs and worms. She also loves to roost on my lap and cuddle. My roo, Jack, is very quiet, polite young man and I hope he stays that way! He loves to be near me but not much of a "pet me" type of guy.
PXL_20211127_191700376.jpg

I'm new to chickens and I have a variety but I do have two Bielefelder (one roo and one pullet). Both are fantastic so far. They are great foragers as they do love to eat! The girl is a HUNTER! Always the first to find bugs and worms. She also loves to roost on my lap and cuddle. My roo, Jack, is very quiet, polite young man and I hope he stays that way! He loves to be near me but not much of a "pet me" type of guy.
View attachment 2911596
They are a beautiful pair!

They are a beautiful pair!
Thanks! I honestly would get this breed again compared to the others I have (all great but just different). The others I have are Orpington, maran, australop, barred rock, and creamed legbar. We focused on personality since my kids are involved with them. The biels just are so confident but personable. Welsummer is on my want list of chickens including a Sussex!
PXL_20211127_160609135.MP.jpg
PXL_20211116_151344177.jpg

Thanks! I honestly would get this breed again compared to the others I have (all great but just different). The others I have are Orpington, maran, australop, barred rock, and creamed legbar. We focused on personality since my kids are involved with them. The biels just are so confident but personable. Welsummer is on my want list of chickens including a Sussex!View attachment 2911837View attachment 2911838
I swear whenever I think I have my list finalized, someone posts pics & I change it! 😂😂😂 Wish I had unlimited space. The feathers in that bottom pic…😍 You can tell how friendly they are, too!

I swear whenever I think I have my list finalized, someone posts pics & I change it! 😂😂😂 Wish I had unlimited space. The feathers in that bottom pic…😍 You can tell how friendly they are, too!
Same! I can have up to 15 but I'm trying really hard to not max out my first year with them! I think I have a list of 20 more chicken breeds I'm interested in. 🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣

Same! I can have up to 15 but I'm trying really hard to not max out my first year with them! I think I have a list of 20 more chicken breeds I'm interested in. 🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣
Let me know if you need help deciding! At the farm we have 3 each of barred rocks, Australorp, EE, OE, gold wyandottes, ISA browns, and a bunch of single breeds. If you want any info on those breeds I can give you our experience!

View attachment 2903712
I am planning on Biels in the Spring but recently have been reading about sudden death with the breed; other than that I think they are an ideal dual purpose bird. I am also looking at Dorking, but my main concern is frostbite with their large combs. I see you are in S Idaho. What is your experience with cold tolerance in the Dorkings and the Bielefelder roo? My climate is cold, snow.

I love the looks of these two birds. What is the difference in temperament, which do you prefer & why?

For my small backyard flock (we can have up to 6) I am planning on:
1 Orpington (DS is picking the color as his choice is an Orpington…he did research and wants a loveable fluffy chicken as “his”)
1 Olive Egger
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Ameraucauna (found a state fair guy with eggs so they should be gorgeous)
1 Australorp (blue or black)
& 1 either Welsummer or Bielefelder

Looking for a reliable supply of pretty colored eggs and nice friendly birds that are ok in a large run only when we are working (but can free range when we are home).

If you have any other suggestions we aren’t ordering til Feb!

I like some of the more flighty breeds as well, but they will live at the farm with more space to roam and less daily cuddling (although the little cousins give them their fair share all summer! 😂) Thanks for your input!
If your getting an orpington I recommend staying away from hatchery feed store stock ones. I highly recommend getting the more expensive orpingtons from reliable good breeders make sure there english orps and not American standard English orps are the ones that will turn out fluffy. The problem with hatchery stock orps they will not be fluffy at all and tend to be flighty and not so docile at all espically the american standard.

Back
Top Bottom