Welsummer vs Marans...

Lots of interesting points, thank you. You know, I have been trying to figure out why the Marans were 'calling to me'...why I wanted them so darn bad. While we were eating lunch today it hit me like a ton of bricks!
th.gif
My oldest son's middle name is Marin...you say it just like the chicken breed!! I can't believe I didn't figure it out until now....
ya.gif

My husband and I have talked a lot about which breed we would prefer and we still aren't sure as of yet, but I will do more research and when the time comes I'm sure something will tell me which breed is going to be best for us. I like the idea of having speckled eggs...sounds pretty cool! We will see what happens. Being as we are in no rush to get either breed...need to thin out our current flock first...we have lots of time to mull it over and make an informed decision. Thanks again for all the help!

I have both. I personally like the welsummers better for a couple reasons. They don't have feathered legs, and they are better free ranging. One of my girls catches mice, and snakes. My welsummer hens lay better than the marans I have. However, my welsummers are noisy, and will announce if any of the other hens are even thinking of laying an egg. They will go on for over an hour. LOL

Our marans girl is more people friendly. Our rooster is the biggest butthead ever towards me, but very good with the young ones, and very protective of his flock. Which is what they need when free ranging. So in that respect, he's a darn good rooster.

I would say get a coouple of both, and see which you like more. Everyones experiences will be different.

Bluemoon

We have both breeds. Our Marans are better layers than the Welsummers. Both will go broody. Welsummers are a smaller body on the hen. I don't personally mind the feathered leg on the Marans as our Marans are very neat and compulsive about laying in their box. Well...I think I've been absolutely no help at all because I like them both...

Try both....!!!

Our Marans eggs will stay a deeper color longer than our Welsummers. I don't know if that's universally true or not. I know that our Wheatans stay darker longer than our Black Copper Marans. Maybe in 2011 I'll actually start a log count of eggs during the year for each breed, but I don't know how to find the time for that. I'm interested in knowing if any one has kept a log of average egg production in their Welsummers vs BCM's......... Nice topic...Have a blessed evening! Nancy

Quote:
I started keeping track of my egg production by breed this year. I had this nice spreadsheet on excel by week. It WAS great. Then, my computer crashed and I lost the file
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

So, I gave up on the egg count. Out of my 10 - 15 hens, I have only had 2 go broody this year - - - - one wyandotte and one Marans. I have three more marans that have not gone broody yet.

My Wheaten Marans lay a bigger and darker egg than the Welsummers did and then the BCM are one notch under the Wheatens...I say try both
D.gif

Quote:
I agree completely here.

My Marans just started laying, so I can't really compare laying between Marans and Wellies. I love both. Get some of each!

You need both!

The Wellies lay a more matte, speckled egg. There is less drama and politics surrounding the breed. OTOH a good Marans will lay a darker, shinier egg that tends to be more solid-colored, and there is more of a challenge in helping to improve the breed. So you need some of each!
smile.png

I have three Welsumers; 1 cockerel and 2 pullets at 3 months old. My young rooster and one hen stick together and very confident, while my other girl is a loner and likes being close by me. All three are not aggressive at all and don't mind being held. They would however rather be near you than being held or petted. Every breed has a certain temperment, but all have a different personalities.

Back
Top Bottom