Welsummer with teary eye and now it's a bubble that looks like milk

debbie_95959

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Hello,

I have had chickens for approximately 2 years now and after a rough start (disease, bear and replenished flock) have not had any issues until today. I have a 28-ish week old Welsummer that is just beginning to lay and noticed yesterday that her eye was "teary" -- it was clear and looked as if she had been crying. This afternoon it looks like she has a tear yet to be shed -- only it's as white as milk. She has no other issues -- is eating, drinking and breathing normally.

Any ideas what this might be? Should I worry about the rest of my flock?

Thank you for the help!

--db

Not sure what it is but your best bet is always to seperate the bird from the rest of your flock till you can find out what it might be. Sorry I am not much help.. Good luck!

how clean and dry has your coop been lately? have you been dealing with a lot of heat and humidity this summer? if you've had any fungus issues you may not be seeing it, or the stress from this summer could have caused a virus to show itself. it sounds like you could have a bird with an impacted sinus and it could take some time to clear itself up on its own but it is good to separate the affected bird as a precaution.

look into a product called Oxine AH. it is safe to use around the birds and yourself as long as you don't get the activator crystals. it can be used as a disinfectant, added to the water or misted over the birds to help with any viral, fungal or bacterial issues that may get into your coop or other areas of the house with other pets. there is a thread somewhere on here about using it so do a search.

good luck!

Thank you very much! The coop is clean but we are finally having "summer" in our area, so it has been fairly hot -- and fortunately not much humidity. We have moved her to the infirmary and will keep her there until she looks better. I will also look for the disinfectant tomorrow.

--db

Back
Top Bottom