Welsummers Grow slow?

MrsPinkKitty

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
i bought two welsummer gals about 1 month old around september and they just dont seem to be growing as fast as the other breeds? Do they grow slow? I feed a 20% laying pellet all year around

I noticed my wellsummers took a week or two longer to start laying than my astrolorps however what a bullet proof bird they always seem to look great they're personable they lay a beautiful dark speckled egg and they keep an eye out for coyote mischief. I'm thinking of replacing the lorps with wellies

Really....Well then i need to get my gals a boyfriend ..So i can do some incubating.. I really have been wanting to get my hands on some astrolorps they are sp pretty.

My astrolorps go broody at the drop of a hat! Yes, they are nice looking and they lay a lot of extra large eggs I'll give you that. I got my hatching eggs from Gabbards really nice stock! The roos I hatched were show stoppers. The hens aren't too shabby either!!

I agree with Ewesheep. They can be slow to start and they can look somewhat lanky while growing out, but wait until they hit around 6 mos or so and you won't believe your eyes at how fast they fill out and put some bulk on. Welsummers are not an overly huge bird but they do fill out nicely upon maturity. Congratulations! You will love them and the eggs are fabulously pretty!
smile.png

It is not unusual for some breeds to take longer to lay than others. I have found the longer it takes for a pullet to start laying the larger the eggs when she starts laying. I have had leghorns start at 4 months and they were tiny eggs and I have had Barnevelder start at 7-8 months and eggs were large.

Tim

Last edited:
My Wellies did develop a bit slower. I had sex-links and Wellies that were the same age. The sex-links started laying at about 16-weeks. The Wellies took another month-and-a-half to two months. The rooster didn't start to look really "developed" for another month or so after that. So, yes, that might take a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom