Went to the Chicken Swap ....what I heard about lack of eggs...

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
Went to the chicken swap in Jacksonvillem FL today (BentCreek Feed) - Can I first Say WOW!!!!!
People were coming up and were swamped before they could unload!

Resisted buying the cutest little chick - I really really wanted it and my Son (17) almost went over to buy it and one other so it would not be lonesome as a surprise for mom!
My husband says, "Go ahead and buy it - just remember that one of the chickens in the coop will be supper!" (as he has set the total limit on chickens to 5 pullets and one rooster) He calls them expensive disposal creatures!

I cannot wait till Dec 27th when they do the next swap.....

Anyway.....What I heard was that due to the heat a lot of younger birds went into molt instead of laying.............. so I will give my girls a bit of a reprieve!

I still want my eggs for breakfast so those silly little Clucks had better start a laying!

Caroline
Jax FL

My buttercup is in a full molt right now. She's 9 months old. She looks like a naked neck. She has NO feathers on her neck, a few on her head, none by her beak, etc. And she's losing them on her body rapidly. She looks pathetic, but I can see the pin feathers coming in, so she'll be growing them back in hopefully before it gets too cold.

Back
Top Bottom