Went to the Chicken Swap ....what I heard about lack of eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, Nov 29, 2009.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Went to the chicken swap in Jacksonvillem FL today (BentCreek Feed) - Can I first Say WOW!!!!!
    People were coming up and were swamped before they could unload!

Resisted buying the cutest little chick - I really really wanted it and my Son (17) almost went over to buy it and one other so it would not be lonesome as a surprise for mom!
    My husband says, "Go ahead and buy it - just remember that one of the chickens in the coop will be supper!" (as he has set the total limit on chickens to 5 pullets and one rooster) He calls them expensive disposal creatures!

I cannot wait till Dec 27th when they do the next swap.....

Anyway.....What I heard was that due to the heat a lot of younger birds went into molt instead of laying.............. so I will give my girls a bit of a reprieve!

I still want my eggs for breakfast so those silly little Clucks had better start a laying!

Caroline
    Jax FL

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My buttercup is in a full molt right now. She's 9 months old. She looks like a naked neck. She has NO feathers on her neck, a few on her head, none by her beak, etc. And she's losing them on her body rapidly. She looks pathetic, but I can see the pin feathers coming in, so she'll be growing them back in hopefully before it gets too cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by