Went to the next step in chicken feed and my chickens won't touch it?

ginaknotek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have 3 chickens that are 14 weeks today (July 31st). Up until yesterday they were on Dumor Chick/Starter Grower. When I went to the local feed store a couple of days ago, they suggested I switch to the next step up Dumor Poultry Grower/Finisher feed. I started them on this new feed this morning and they haven't touched it. Before I switched I couldn't keep feed in their feeder. They were eating it like crazy. I realize their is a lot of waste, but I could fill up their feeder first thing in the morning and before lunch it was empty. At the same time I was giving them watermelon rinds, mashed up banana, grapes, etc. and yet they were still eating as much feed as I would give them. I was just surprised that they didn't touch the grower/finisher. Is there that much difference in the two feeds?

This is my first time raising chickens so I am learning as I go and from the wealth of information posted here on BackYard Chickens.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Did you mix in some of the starter food with the new stuff? Sometimes you have to integrate it in their normal food for them to develop a taste for it. Good luck

No, unfortunately I didn't think of doing that, I was completely out of the starter/grower. Do you think I should get another bag so I can mix it together? I never buy the 50 lb bag of feed, always the 20 and thought this time I would get the 50 lb to save time and money. Wouldn't you know? Anyway if I do get some of the prior feed to mix with it, how long do you think I need to mix the two together?

Thank you for your response.

I didn't mix mine. Maybe I should have but I was new when I switched. It took my chickens a day to decide to try the new food. I would leave the new food available to them and maybe cut down the treats for a day. They will get hungry and eat.

That's a good point. I will give them another day and see what happens and won't give them the treats. Hopefully they will start eating the new food, I just didn't realize that it would be that different from what they had before.

Thank you for your input.

If you find that after they get good and hungry they still won't eat the new feed, there may be something wrong with it. My girls had a bag of feed last winter that they ABSOLUTELY refused to eat. They were starving. It smelled and looked fine to me. I took the bag back and bought a bag of multi-flock to give them extra protein, and they immediately started eating the new feed.

Back
Top Bottom