1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

were are my eggs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by corey mcafee, Jan 13, 2011.

1. corey mcafee

corey mcafee New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    my chickens havent laid an egg in about 2 months. ive been doubling up on their scratch grain and they drink about a half gallon to one gallon of water a day between all of them their are 5 hens 3 sexlinks and 2 cochin bantams what do i need to do????? Thanks

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Have you added artificial light to increase the daylight hours for them to 14 hrs?
    Winter time is the natural time that chickens reproduction slows down. This is their natural rest cycle when they also go through their molts and get their new feathers in for the next year. Hens are affected by the amount of light in a day. Winter the days are shorter.
    Most folks that want to push their hens to keep production up in winter will add artificial lighting (having light bulb on) to 14 hrs to stimulate them into laying during the winter.
    If you decide to add lighting to do this keep in mind that it can take up to 2 weeks for your girls to start back up again.

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    What are you feeding them? If you're doubling up on scratch, it's very possible they're not receiving enough protein. That plus the shorter days would cause them not to lay.

So... perhaps cut out the scratch so they're eating more regular layer food, and supplement with additional light if you want.

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I'm only getting 3 eggs out of 11 girls (per day) but just decreased scratch, increased layer pellets and increase light. It's the light and their natural slow-down time. It'll happen again.

5. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    We've been lucky to have great egg production from our girls. Having said that they have slowed considerably now that it is very cold. One of the other things I have noticed was when I switched from a higher protein general flock feed to a lower protein "layer feed" our egg production went into the toilet. For our girls at least, the quality and protein content of their diet seems to be the key. Ours are pets and as long as I "spoil" them with a good variety of treats and protein I've gotten decent egg production again....though not nearly the consistency I get in the summertime but its enough for our needs.

6. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    They should be on the upswing soon, since we've passed Winter Solstice & hours of light are increasing (in the northern hemisphere).
    Sometimes this treat will help; warm cooked rice or oatmeal with an egg & cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, mixed well & fed a few times a week will help too.
    Warm water is good too.
    [​IMG]

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I would agree about scratch or cracked corn. It is like candy. Lots of calories and energy but not enough protein. On very cold nights I'll give them a good amount of of scratch just before roost time to help them stay warm. Otherwise they get an 18% layer pellets and extra light, 12 hours for mine. I have 14 hens and get about 7-9 eggs per day right now. Some of my older birds haven't lain for a very long time but I consider them as coop insulators. My six pullets lay every day and a few of the old EE hens still lay. I also give them leftover meat and other protein rich foods as treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by