We're in winter yet my chicken is broody

If you want to have baby chicks, you can give her some fertile eggs and see what come out..if you dont want to have baby chicks now in winter but maybe in spring, you can break her broodiness keeping her in a cage with a wire floor for a few days. This allows air to cool her and she will return at normal. :) if she is a broody breed (what breed is she?) she very probably will go broody again in spring and you will be prepared.

I have a bantam Araucana who has gone broody several times since I got her as a POL pullet in May. I dont have a rooster so no fertile eggs. She is really determined when she does go broody, angry sounding and stubborn ☺
However, I don't intend to have her hatch a batch (can't keep any roosters) so it is in her best interests to break the broodiness.
I haven't had to cage her yet... Just remove her from nest when she sets (usually several times), remove all eggs as soon as possible & keep her distracted 😊
I fully expect her to start brooding again in spring... repeat process :barnie

I understand the temptation to let her set and hatch :)
Perhaps break the broodiness now (mostly because it is pretty cold here in the UK) then let her set in spring/summer when she goes broody again?
Like you I am tempted to let my girl have a go, but not in love with the idea of having to deal with processing any cockerels 🥺

There are lots of very useful articles on here about breaking broodiness.

Best of luck :)

Back
Top Bottom