Were You Attacked and Injured by YOUR Rooster?

Were You Attacked and Injured by Your Rooster?

• I did nothing, we're okay

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I did nothing, he attacked again

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I confined him, his attitude improved

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I confined him, didn't help his attitude

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I rehomed him

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I removed him from the gene pool (permanent)

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
I was spurred by a Welsummer too. He kept coming at me and I would jump back and eventually he spurred my leg. He drew blood. I was feeding the hens and when he tried again I took the bucket in my hand and used it to protect myself and pushed him backwards. He walked away and did not try again.

Update: I witnessed the same rooster attacking his own chicks, he's now pushing up the daisies.

I probably won't wait as long to handle the issue if it ever get another rooster attacking my face.
It's a hard choice, but you did the right thing. Ours is in the freezer awaiting the right day to join us for dinner.

I have several of his sons, since the hens were black Australorp and Barred Rock they are mostly solid black but I have noticed 1 is getting barring and another has some speckles coming in, plus we have 2 blues for my hubby to choose a keeper from. Hopefully they will be kinder birds. I'll keep the pullets in the layer flock. They are 4 and 6 weeks old now.

We have a black australorp rooster named Chanticleer. He doesn't try to attack me that much because I kick him across the pen but other times he tries to attack. He always tries to attack my dad. We still have him now because we don't have any other roosters (other than the chicks). We assumed that one or some of the roosters that are growing would kick some sense into him :gig

Usually our new males step back in line after they are reminded they are only 18" tall and we are almost 6' tall.
The ones who don't get the message, go to the Smoke Motel.
th-1760202770.jpg

782442AC-EC7D-4EF2-9432-C26540BEBAEC.jpeg
Just Friday we were in the garden cutting veggies. My wife was holding the basket and as she reached to adjust it , the little bastard hit her from behind causing her to cut her arm. 13 stitches later, she doesn’t want to send him to the smoker.
He always waits til our back is turned, and when confronted he runs to the turkeys, that protect the bantams.
E7056687-8D21-4F6A-9386-59816AEE384F.jpeg

this is why socialization of your day old chicks is IMPERATIVE

you're more likely to get an aggro rooster when you have to many chicks to spend individual time bonding with them.
i have 10 right now and socializing them all using my very loving 3 year old. Our suspected cockerels are VERY friendly right now at 2 weeks old.

when i was a teenager i had a few roosters who were SUPER mean. One comes to mind who was the worst. Alex. everytime we got near him he'd attack, so we eventually started working on countermeasures. Swatting him never worked, kicking back worked sometimes, but he was a MASSIVE, jersey Giant, attacking back only seemed to fuel him

we tied his leg to a chain and gave him a 20 foot yard. that worked like a charm to keep the ladies in the run, keep him back from us, and the littles, and keep them all safe as he had injured and even killed off his own sons before.

one day he got off somehow, and i was coming home from school, as i got off the bus i heard a young child screaming for help When i came around the bus, our rooster was chasing a 7 year old boy home biting and drawing blood the whole way

We dispatched Sir Alex the next day.

View attachment 3821683Just Friday we were in the garden cutting veggies. My wife was holding the basket and as she reached to adjust it , the little bastard hit her from behind causing her to cut her arm. 13 stitches later, she doesn’t want to send him to the smoker.
He always waits til our back is turned, and when confronted he runs to the turkeys, that protect the bantams.
View attachment 3821681
:eek: I'm sorry but I think it would be better to send him to the smoker! Imagine if that was on your face. Be safe!

one day he got off somehow, and i was coming home from school, as i got off the bus i heard a young child screaming for help When i came around the bus, our rooster was chasing a 7 year old boy home biting and drawing blood the whole way

We dispatched Sir Alex the next day.
He deserved it for sure. Some roosters are pure crazy and need to be removed!

View attachment 3821683Just Friday we were in the garden cutting veggies. My wife was holding the basket and as she reached to adjust it , the little bastard hit her from behind causing her to cut her arm. 13 stitches later, she doesn’t want to send him to the smoker.
View attachment 3821681
Goodness! I hope she gets well soon!

Goodness! I hope she gets well soon!
Thanks, She’s tough, and meaner than the rooster🤪.
It’s funny , sort of, that the little Napoleon complex Bantam is the only human aggressive Roo we have, and we have 15 “real” Roosters 3 of which are Brahma.
We have 2 other bantam roosters, smaller than the **shat , that are sweet and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom