Wes's Pets and Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gussie398, Jan 20, 2012.

1. gussie398

gussie398 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    Hi!
    I just wanted to know if anyone's ever been to Wes's Pets and Feed. I went there about 2 or 3 weeks ago but he didn't have any chicks yet [​IMG]. What do you, for those that have been there, think about it? I am planning to get 2 Delawares, 2 Australorps, and 2 Ameraucanas. Does anyone know if the Ameraucanas are actually Ameraucanas or are they Easter Eggers? Lotsa Qs!
    Gussie398

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You should probably go to your profile and add your location.

Then you should go to the "Where am I, Where are you?" section and find folks who live in your area.

I'm in Phoenix and I've never heard of Wes's Pets and Feed.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Mahonri said (except that I am in California, not Arizona). I haven't heard of Wes' Pets and Feed, either

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

As was already stated, I don't know where your at or the feed store in question, but, a lot of small mom and pop type feed stores don't sell chick's year around, only for a few weeks in the spring. You might just ask them when they expect to have chicks and if you can order what you want. At the feed stores around me you just get to pick from whatever they've ordered and have in the store. Sometimes there's an assortment, sometimes only a couple of choices.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've never been to or heard of Wes's but the feed stores around here don't get chicks until late February. The best way to find out what they will carry and when is to ask them.

6. gussie398

gussie398 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    The world
    Whoops, I forgot to say it's In El Monte, California. I'll go put my location in my profile. I thought I already had it there. But thanks for replying! And I'll go check out the Thread thingy.

7. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey there, I bought my chicks from Wes last summer. As I'm sure you saw it is a very basic shop.... But he knows everything about chickens!! And is a really nice guy. If you get a rooster by accident (hatchery accuracy is only 90%) he will buy it back from you! He makes sure that all of the chicks have recovered from their journey and are strong and healthy before he sells them. I highly recommend his shop!

Good luck with your chicks!

8. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    This is an old thread but had to put in a kind word about Wes's. Wes's Pets and Feed in El Monte, CA, seems to always have chicks or expecting a new shipment of hatchery chicks when I stop by his place. Not a fancy place and has a bare bones atmosphere. I bought a Silkie juvenile pullet (someone sold older bearded Silkie juveniles in assorted standard colors at Wes's on consignment) and almost 6 years later I still have her. I bought a Dominique pullet chick a couple years later but sadly it only lived to 21 days old - it happens with chicks and you never know why. But I plan to buy more birds from him. Wes's son is just as nice as Wes. They take in nice cockerels/cocks on display in their backroom for sale/free? I've seen some beautiful roos in that back room.
    Feel free to message me if you have questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by