West Nile in area. Prevention/symptoms/treatment?

AdiosCowboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
I just found out tonight about several occurences of West Nile Virus in my area (Riverside, CA) affecting both humans and the local crows. Any information about dealing with an outbreak with chickens would be much appreciated. Right now I have a mosquito net (non-medicated, I don't know what it would to to my chicks) around the brooder, but it's already very hot here and they are getting to be outside-in-the-coop age. Please help, thank you.

We've got West Nile around here, too, but I don't know a thing about it in chickens, sorry. You might try contacting the extension service in your area, or try the extension service in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, since we deal with it here. Maybe a light misting of dilute orange oil or something similarly repellant might be okay for your birds.

Interesting article (the link) plus a great question asked. Thanks for bringing this back up to our attention. If you/other birds are testing positive, go around your yard, and remind neighbors to avoid standing water- old tires, dishes, plantpots, etc as this is where these EEE spreaders live and reproduce. We have been working at it being left with a lot of items out behind the sheds from late family members. (UGH and a GRRR) Please keep in mind that a very minute amount of bleach in the water, not enough to harm us humans (you would have to ask a professional) will kill the larva in the standing water.
Good luck, I have known a couple of people with EEE and it is a very scarey and life threatening illness.
Again, thanks for bringing this up to our (my ) attention !!!

Back
Top Bottom