1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wet and cold!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by b4sythe1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. b4sythe1

b4sythe1 New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    I know that Chickens can handle the cold pretty well. However my girls decided to go out and play in the rain today. It is now starting to freeze and they are soaked. I have a brooder in my garage that I could put them in which is usually warmer and has a heat lamp to if necessary. What are your thoughts? the temperature is going to stay just above freezing all night if the weatherman is correct.

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I think they'll be okay on their own as long as they have a dry place to get out of the rain overnight.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Tippyman

Tippyman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    My chickens are dumb and do the same. They stay out in drizzle all day and then it gets cold. Their coop is dry as a bone though, and they look good when they emerge in the morning!

No supplemental heat necessary. So long as the coop ventilates good, they'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by