Wet and Dry Fowl Pox - Graphic Pictures of Pus and Scabs

Pics
They are all silkies about 2 1/2 months old.
I know nothing about pox, but always thought it appeared on the skin, not the beak itself. I'm not saying it's not but, I would look up beak necrosis as a possible alternative also. It could be some kind of fungal thing too. Do you have a vet that deals with birds? You might take one in and let him know you have several more at home like this.

They are all silkies about 2 1/2 months old.

I know nothing about pox, but always thought it appeared on the skin, not the beak itself.  I'm not saying it's not but, I would look up beak necrosis as a possible alternative also.  It could be some kind of fungal thing too.    Do you have a vet that deals with birds?  You might take one in and let him know you have several more at home like this.

Several of mine had it in 2013.

-Kathy

I have a couple young pullets that may have the onset of wet pox (nothing like the pictures above, just watery and slightly swollen eye) and a rooster that has dry pox.
I plan on starting to treat today once i purchase the antibiotics. Will it hurt if my other chickens drink the antibiotic water? Also can I vaccinate my flock against this? Also I have some chickens that I am unsure if they were vaccinated or not, The person I purchased them from moved away and I do not have contact info for her. If they have been vaccinated and I were to revaccinate them will that hurt them?

Hen #6 How do u go about removing these I hv one rooster w only the dry form This hen's warts are different than the others as they appear to have pus in them and they were not drying out, so off they came. Before removal. Inside of mouth before pus removal. Pus removed from roof of mouth. After removal of scabs/growths and application of iodine This side still needs more work. After removal of pus/plaque and application of iodine. De-worming orally with Safeguard liquid (fenbendazole 10%) Various pics of scabs and pus.

If it's the dry form, leave it alone (you'll likely do more harm than good, exposing to bacterial infection). It'll clear up.

Recommend reading this entire thread if you haven't already. all of this is covered early in the thread. I found it very useful when I was faced with fowl pox for the first time.

- Ant Farm

I have a couple young pullets that may have the onset of wet pox (nothing like the pictures above, just watery and slightly swollen eye) and a rooster that has dry pox.
I plan on starting to treat today once i purchase the antibiotics. Will it hurt if my other chickens drink the antibiotic water? Also can I vaccinate my flock against this? Also I have some chickens that I am unsure if they were vaccinated or not, The person I purchased them from moved away and I do not have contact info for her. If they have been vaccinated and I were to revaccinate them will that hurt them?

don't vaccinate sick birds, it can only get worse. you can vaccinate any new birds in the future.

if some birds are sick probably all of them are but don't show the symptoms. we should always treat all the birds so it is safe to put antibiotics in their water.

Back
Top Bottom