Wet Avian Pox?

ladyvain

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
About a week ago I noticed that my alpha roo had some white spots on his comb. I also found some on one of this ladies. We have about 20 chickens and from what I can see they are the only two with spots and neither seems bothered by them. Today I was out feeding them and I heard/saw one of the other hens make a "clearing the throat" sound. I saw her do it again a few hours later and noticed that she was laboured in her breathing. I scooped her up and moved her to a dog crate in the shop. She seems find otherwise and doesn't have any spots.

Does this sound like the wet pox? How do I tell if she has spots inside her throat? What can I do for her?

Any information would be truly helpful:)

Avian pox causes black spots, not white. You can look in her throat by putting her in your lap and pulling gently downward on her wattles. A fashlight would be handy.

I have no idea what might be going on, sorry.

If you could take a picture of the spots, it would help. White spots on the comb sometimes can be a fungus called favus, and will respond to an antifungal cream such as miconazole, monistat, tinactin. Wet pox involves yellow patches in the throat and airway. Dry pox can look different in many cases, from one single black scab to multiple scabs all over the comb wattles, and other areas.

Last edited:
what is this? Is it pox?

Last edited:

Here's the spots when I first noticed them. They have since lessened in appearance.

Quote:
It looks like it could be a papilloma from a virus, or perhaps an injury from a cut on a feeder or waterer. This is also an area where you can see canker, so I would keep an eye on it if it starts to spread or look grayish. Below is a picture of canker. Here is a link about it: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce
Cankerlesion2.jpg
Last year I had a couple with wet pox that looked like this. Not saying it is wet pox, just that it could be. I think someone else had one and it turned out that her's had an E. coli infection from an embedded piece of wood or straw.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom