Wet belly feathers

If it stays looking wet, I'd bathe it in Dawn Dishwashing soap in warm water and blow it dry with a hair dryer. Then keep it dry for a few days before letting it swim again, so it can re-waterproof its feathers. Keep the brooder very clean and dry and you should be fine.
With my pekin that has a deformed bill and cannot clean itself properly, I have never needed to use dawn dish soap. Dawn will remove natural oils the duckling has already preened onto its feathers. Not bathing for a few days will reduce the amount of preening and stimulation of the preen gland. Just by sitting in water, and splashing around, this duckling will wash out any poop that it has sat in, as my pekin has to do to keep himself reasonably clean [although his standards of cleanliness are not up to mine, and I make him bath more often than he would otherwise choose.]

The OP made it clear in a subsequent comment that the brown color is a result of food dye on the bedding -- its not feces from sitting in a dirty brooder. Plus the OP says it has improved already with increased bathing in water.

I am firmly against using dawn to bath a duck or duckling.

That is really weird. I'd be tempted to bathe them with some sort of soap, dry them off good, and just kind of start over, eliminating the food coloring.

I allowed my 4 to "swim" every day right away. If swimming/wading has improved the issue, can you maybe do that daily and just make sure you dry them off really well before returning them to their brooder? Use a towel or even a blow dryer set on low?

I read through the "vet source", and I still do not agree. And I'm sorry, but not every vet is correct. I'm sure if I searched I could find a vet who agrees with my views, too. As for the article itself, the reason for dish soap is not stated, which is dissapointing since I'm open to learning and hearing other views. But, yet again, warm plain water achieves the exact same thing, without stripping them of natural oils. (Unless they have harmful substances/oils on them which need removing). Then they can be dried off as well as possible and be returned to a dry area. This stimulates the oil gland and they can continue to spread their oils, unless there is a deeper issue (than in this example).
But your attitude is most surprising here- you're so desperate to defend your practice, you're up on a highhorse.
But If you had been open to discussion, you might have noticed:
As far as I'm aware
Still.
Agree to disagree.

Are you seeing your duckling preening after bath time? That is how they water proof their down and feathers once they grow in. But even at their age giving them time to swim in nice warm water can motivate them to start preening and getting their oil gland working. Never put young duckling in cold water they can chill. They can’t regulate their body temp.
Yes they are preening after bath time. Is not preening enough a thing? I know I previously wasn’t cleaning the brooder enough and have started doing it more often. When do the oil glands start working properly?

Once they begin preening they get the oil gland working. Do not let them lay in feces it can cause ammonia burns. I know keeping up with cleaning is Full time job but it has to be done. That almost looks like it’s down is discolored but of course it’s wet which make it look darker too. is it one or all of your ducklings.Another reason to keep up with cleaning the brooder is the ammonia from their poop can cause respiratory sickness.
I guess I should have mentioned that the coloring I think is from food coloring that bleed in the bedding. We put a drop of food coloring on 1 back to see which one we think is the male and they ran and it got onto the bedding. So I think the coloration is from that. But maybe it’s also due to when I wasn’t cleaning it enough. Any recommendations on how often?

If it stays looking wet, I'd bathe it in Dawn Dishwashing soap in warm water and blow it dry with a hair dryer. Then keep it dry for a few days before letting it swim again, so it can re-waterproof its feathers. Keep the brooder very clean and dry and you should be fine.

With my pekin that has a deformed bill and cannot clean itself properly, I have never needed to use dawn dish soap. Dawn will remove natural oils the duckling has already preened onto its feathers. Not bathing for a few days will reduce the amount of preening and stimulation of the preen gland. Just by sitting in water, and splashing around, this duckling will wash out any poop that it has sat in, as my pekin has to do to keep himself reasonably clean [although his standards of cleanliness are not up to mine, and I make him bath more often than he would otherwise choose.]

The OP made it clear in a subsequent comment that the brown color is a result of food dye on the bedding -- its not feces from sitting in a dirty brooder. Plus the OP says it has improved already with increased bathing in water.

My recommendation was based on the wet feather appearance. I understand about the food coloring. The well known treatment for wet feather is indeed Dawn Dishwashing soap bath in warm water. Ducks quickly re-waterproof their feathers in a few days, which is why it is always suggested to give them a few days of time to re-waterproof their feathers. My show ducks are routinely washed in Dawn Dishwashing Soap before poultry shows with no ill affects. In fact, shows are often several weekends in a row, and they are bathed a few days before ALL shows with no ill effects whatsoever!

I agree this wasn't the typical presentation of wet feather, however the poster ask for options and this is clearly an option that does no harm, and would help to remove any staining. As a human doctor, I felt it was a valid option, along with encouraging daily, or twice daily daily, cleaning of the brooder.

100%! Well said. As far as I'm aware, dawn dish soap should only be used to remove harmful oils, which is very rare- perhaps when waterfowl come into contact with some kind of oil spillage?- I haven't even seen a situation personally where this is applicable.

Back
Top Bottom