Wet belly feathers

MrsBrooks8

Hatching
Mar 20, 2022
I tried finding a similar post but did see anything exact to what is going on. This is our first time having ducks so I don’t know 100% what I’m doing but putting in the research which is how I found this page. I want to make sure something is not wrong and this is normal looking. I’ve put them in water to let them clean themselves a few times and it seems to have gotten better after the baths but not completely. The picture I attached was at the worst of it and not the current state. Can someone tell me if this is normal and if not what do I need to do to help them? Are they not drying off enough, does this seem to be wet feather, or something completely different?Thank you!

Attachments

• C7C1B3F4-F9EA-4360-8B06-43E8D9AA98BB.jpeg
    C7C1B3F4-F9EA-4360-8B06-43E8D9AA98BB.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 89
How many ducks do you have and do they all have the same issue?

I would also try a plain water bath (without dawn) first, then keep them in a place where they can totally and thoroughly dry.

While I understand the intention of stripping the oils and letting them regenerate the oils, I definitely wouldn’t try it unless they can be kept in warm temperatures for several days. It would take a few days for a juvenile or adult duck’s feathers to get re-oiled well enough to be out and about.

I only had 4 ducklings in my brooder and I cleaned 4X a day I used pee pads for the first 2 weeks then went to thick pine shavings Once I went to shaving I would take out the ducklings clean all the wet places and add fresh bedding then put them back I did that 2X a day. It all depends on size of the brooder and how many ducklings your trying to keep up with.

Are you seeing your duckling preening after bath time? That is how they water proof their down and feathers once they grow in. But even at their age giving them time to swim in nice warm water can motivate them to start preening and getting their oil gland working. Never put young duckling in cold water they can chill. They can’t regulate their body temp.

Once they begin preening they get the oil gland working. Do not let them lay in feces it can cause ammonia burns. I know keeping up with cleaning is Full time job but it has to be done. That almost looks like it’s down is discolored but of course it’s wet which make it look darker too. is it one or all of your ducklings.Another reason to keep up with cleaning the brooder is the ammonia from their poop can cause respiratory sickness.

What color was the food coloring you put on them? I'm betting it wasn't brown. I feel a bit like Sally Field in Steel Magnolias, but who's ever heard of grey icing/brown food coloring. lol It does appear to be poop. A photo of the brooder they are in would quickly determine if that is the case. By that age, they are really too large to be in a brooder because it can't be easily cleaned. I'd put them somewhere with a larger area with a heat source (far away from the water) and after a few days of bathing, you should notice an improved difference.

Last edited:
Well, I am glad that you know the brown is food coloring from the bedding! I have a white drake [not a duckling] with a damaged bill who cannot reach as far as the vent on his undercarriage. So he gets mucky down there. But duck poop on him has never looked like your photo!!! The solution with my drake is to make him bathe in the wading pool everyday [for inexplicable reasons, my drakes, like some adolescent boys, do not like bathing. The girls, in a separate flock are in their wading pool all day!!] So I am not surprised that giving your ducklings more bathing time -- in luke warm water for your ducklings -- has allowed your duckling to clean up.

I am sure that with frequent baths, drying off and allowing to preen, as well as no more food dye, your duck will be back to normal looking as the down is replaced with first feathers.

Back
Top Bottom