Wet/damp chicken

SarahBC

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
British Columbia, Canada
The last three days one of my chickens has been damp. I have checked the coop,there is no leak, no water getting in that I can see. I went out in the dark and moved her on the perch and to check for condensation. Nothing! I towel dried her last night and she is damp again today. We have been having some wet and cold weather. I'm wondering if she got wet and just hasn't been able to get dry? They are not free ranging. Their run is covered and again, no leaks. I'm worried if the temp drops she will freeze.
Any suggestions? Can I blow dry her? Anyone ever had a chicken get wet on purpose? I cannot figure out how this is happening. The nesting boxes are dry too.

The amount of steam that can come off chickens at night if they are closed in is considerable. Is your coop vented at night? I would blow dry before putting her back in a slightly vented coop. It takes a loooong time if they're really wet. Fluff the feathers with your hand as you're drying to speed it up a little. Don't get them too hot (beak open) & don't do rapid temp extremes (like putting a hot bird outside when it's freezing). Good luck.

The amount of steam that can come off chickens at night if they are closed in is considerable. Is your coop vented at night? I would blow dry before putting her back in a slightly vented coop. It takes a loooong time if they're really wet. Fluff the feathers with your hand as you're drying to speed it up a little. Don't get them too hot (beak open) & don't do rapid temp extremes (like putting a hot bird outside when it's freezing). Good luck.
Lots of ventilation in their coop. No condensation on the roof or window either. I will blow dry her outside under cover but not get her too hot.

Hmmm. Is there an open water bowl she's getting into? Has she been feeling well? Vomiting? Do you have other birds?
yes, I use an open water bucket at the moment. Trying to convince my husband to let me buy an electric one.
They all seem fine. Not lethargic, eating fine, no runny poop,no vomiting. I have other birds and they are all dry.

Ooh. A mystery!
:pop

My chickens love to be blow dried! But you can't do that every night... Gotta find the water source. I can't imagine what it is... Is the area where she sleeps dry? Is there a way warer can get in at the floor level maybe? My coop is well-ventilated, but sometimes there us condensation on the steel roof panels when it's super wet out. And I have an Orp who likes to stand in her water pan. I take it up in winter because of this. Silly chicken thinks she's a swimmer....

Ooh. A mystery!
:pop

My chickens love to be blow dried! But you can't do that every night... Gotta find the water source. I can't imagine what it is... Is the area where she sleeps dry? Is there a way warer can get in at the floor level maybe? My coop is well-ventilated, but sometimes there us condensation on the steel roof panels when it's super wet out. And I have an Orp who likes to stand in her water pan. I take it up in winter because of this. Silly chicken thinks she's a swimmer....
Well, I blow dried her. She seemed to like it. I checked EVERYWHERE in the coop and run. I cannot figure out the source of water. I know when they tuck their heads under at night they can make some moisture but this seemed like more than that. I will see what she is like in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom