Wet Fowl Pox

mackelchea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Come to find out --The seller thinks it was/is Wet Fowl Pox __

original post>>>

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=135056

Seller told me the state AG guys were going to test their flock for the NPIP program...

Seller says:
I spoke with the NPIP person here this morning and she speculated that the birds have the wet form of fowl pox.

She said that she has seen some outbreaks in our area in recent weeks. One lady who has a flock of about 500 birds near here has it throughout her flock. The disease normally makes the bird look generally listless and the wet strain of fowl pox causes the swelling you have described. It is initially transmitted by a mosquito to the bird and then can be spread by contact from bird to bird.

She likened it to children getting the measles or chicken pox: The birds are sick for two or three weeks, then they normally recover and are immune for the remainder of their lives. The disease is not passed through to eggs that are laid. The infected bird, once healed, does not continue to infect other birds.

There is a vaccine, but she recommended against it because it requires annual booster shots and the fatality rate of the disease is low. The disease is not transmitted to humans or other livestock.

Her advice was to isolate the infected birds and disinfect equipment that was exposed to the birds.

My theory is that if we're dealing with wet fowl pox, one of the chicks you received was bitten by an infected mosquito shortly before we shipped the birds. Then, the disease spread in close confinement. The slightly older chicks you received were in an outdoor pen and we do have mosquitoes this time of year, As I said, I've noticed no sign of this in the chicks I've hatched and have had a very high hatch rate. The chicks in my enclosed brooder shed seem perfectly healthy. Your birds recovered in the time she described for the disease to run its course. The wet fowl pox scenario fits the facts pretty well. The other viral diseases I've read about seem to affect chick mortality and I'm just not seeing that in the chick population. We have virtually no deaths and no sick-looking young chicks.

She said we could ship a few birds to the lab here and test for fowl pox although it is not a test that is part of the NPIP screen.

my chicks that I hatched in Jan got it also. (I kept them in the same brooder as soon as I receive the chicks from FL)

Anyone had dealings with this ?
Thanks

Last edited:
That sucks! But fowl pox is pretty mild compared to some of the other diseases. Be sure to check their throats often, sometimes the sores need to be cleaned otherwise the birds will suffocate. I would notify any of your neighbors that have chickens that it's in the area now. Seeing as it spreads by mosquitoes, it would be a nice gesture to warn them. Also, be sure to dump water buckets before the squitos find them! Sorry that that happened though, that's a sucky situation.

if you find out how to treat this let me know as i am not certain if i have got severe dry pox or mild wet pox. My hen has been through the wars these past three weeks and only lord above knows how she has got this

it barely gets above 9 oc here how in the world mosquitos have buzzed around in that temperature i will never know!!

Good luck and persevere, as moodychicken said ... you could be dealing with worse and the mortality rate isnt that high

Back
Top Bottom