Wet Pox Treatment Is working

butterlady

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 23, 2009
All,
I wanted people to know what I have found that seems to be working for my chickens that have wet pox.
I met a woman that rescues birds and sees a lot of canker. She uses Emtryl to cure it. It's online only or you can find Medizole at some feed stores. It's for pigeon canker. She was taking a millet seed size of the powder and putting it directly on the yellow lumps in the mouth. She was very successful. My chicken started bleeding out of her nose when I tried it once so I didn't give it that way. (You can't wait for the Emtryl to come in the mail so start with the iodine solution below.) I got some Emtryl and I mixed it with water. It's a half tsp per 2 qts of water for pigeons so I'm using about 3/4 tsp for the chicken. I think a little more wouldn't hurt. But you can't put too much or it could kill them she said. I also got some iodine which was Povidone at Walmart. Any of the iodine mixtures are the same under any name. I got a long tool called a blemish remover tool in the cosmetic dept. It has a bent hooped wire on the ends. it's long enough to get into the throat of the chicken and remove the yellow infection so they can breath and eat. The iodine helps soften the lumps to remove it. The mouth will bleed when you remove infection as it is grown to the mouth. This is painful and must be done slowly. But you must try to get as much out as you can. Mix about 1/8 cup or less of iodine with the same amount of water in a tiny container with a lid. Less than a half cup when it's mixed all together. Then with a Q-tip put the iodine mixed with water into the mouth and swab around and down the throat to heal all the open wounds you just created. It's most important to get it out of the throat as best you can. Let the chicken rest until the next day. Do it again being more careful as the mouth is sore. I hold her in my left elbow and wear latex gloves. I pull the waddle down with my left thumb and middle finger to open her mouth and try to use my first finger to open the beak wider so I can see down in there. After the first time they can usually start eating again since the throat is clear. Use the iodine solution to cover the sores on her comb to start healing them. They are also painful. I put about 1/8 cup or less of the iodine solution in her small bowl of water mixed with the Emtryl water. I don't give her any other water. Some chickens heal faster than others. I have one that's been about 5 weeks and still has infection in her mouth and sores on her comb. But she is doing much better than any others I had before with it. They all died and the vet was of no help at all. If it's really bad at first I feed baby food in a syringe being very careful not to choke them. They can choke and die while you're feeding them if the throat gets full and it won't go down. This is a terrible deadly disease. But I think with a lot of attention you can save them. I check her every day to see if I need to use the tool again, trying to get deep into the throat to keep clearing it. She lives in a cage away from the other chickens. I hope this helps someone who is searching for something that works.

@butterlady Are you treating for wet fowl pox or canker? The Emtryl treats canker, not fowl pox.
Otherwise the procedure that you use to remove lesions for either disease is a superb way to remove them. Keep in mind that surviving birds with canker are carriers for life and will require monthly treatments with acidified copper sulfate in their water to keep it in check.

Back
Top Bottom