We've been bamboozled! Gender help

I have had two flocks where a known pullet/hen has mounted other females, & the submissive female obediently squatted when the hen mounted her. The first instance was a flock of easter easter eggers at pol. Putting a rooster in with that flock immediately stopped the behavior. Currently have three large flocks, including a flock of sixty 2-year-old hens, and 2 roosters with the hens to help provide predator protection. I have several times noticed a rhode island red hen mounting another hen when neither rooster was nearby. The rir hen will usually corner a submissive hen and mount her when the submissive hen cannot escape. Its a dominance & hormonal thing. Not common but does happen. Your pullet may not stop the mounting behavior since you have no rooster. But with your girls all being at pol, their hormones are raging, and will hopefully calm down with time. But have no more worries; i concur with the others that you have all females.

Ok, it's me again. Tell me, are these eggs fertilized?

Attachments

• bullseye.jpg
    bullseye.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 35
I have had two flocks where a known pullet/hen has mounted other females, & the submissive female obediently squatted when the hen mounted her. The first instance was a flock of easter easter eggers at pol. Putting a rooster in with that flock immediately stopped the behavior. Currently have three large flocks, including a flock of sixty 2-year-old hens, and 2 roosters with the hens to help provide predator protection. I have several times noticed a rhode island red hen mounting another hen when neither rooster was nearby. The rir hen will usually corner a submissive hen and mount her when the submissive hen cannot escape. Its a dominance & hormonal thing. Not common but does happen. Your pullet may not stop the mounting behavior since you have no rooster. But with your girls all being at pol, their hormones are raging, and will hopefully calm down with time. But have no more worries; i concur with the others that you have all females.
My brother, he owns a LOT of ducks, like 34 altogether, but he prefers his females and keeps them separate from the males
His females mount each other, especially in the pools in their pen, he put a young male in, but they still occasionally do it.
Will they stop once the male starts to do his thing during spring time?

Back
Top Bottom