We've decided on Jersey Buff Turkeys! New Pics pg6

We received our EXTREMELY well packaged eggs from Porters, the first batch anyway. Ordered 6 and received 8, all bubblewrapped & shipped with the aircell pointed up, inside of a cooler box type setup with a cold pack. The eggs were very cool to touch and I'm really hopefull.

I put them in a duck egg turner today Day 0, so they are on their sides. The are also in the bator with 11 chicken eggs. I have to get either another bator or hatcher working, or break down & buy one within the next couple of weeks.

Will keep you posted!
big_smile.png

If you read his website over good it says you can pick which varieties of eggs you want. He does specifically state though that he won't be selling eggs or poults from some varieties. I didn't buy eggs from Porter's but I did buy 20 poults back in May, just a purebred assortment. Even though it was an assortment of his choice he did let me choose the breeds I didn't want included. He sent 21 poults lost just 1 on arrival due to being weak. Of the other 20 left I haven't lost 1 and their now 10 weeks old. I ended up wiht a nice assortment of about 6 different breeds of the 20. He even put in at least 3 of a breed to try and give me breeding pair of each variety. It was also nice that he accept C.C. over the phone for payment which made it easier and faster to get my poults.

My second box of turkey eggs arrived 2 days ago. They were not as well packaged as the first bunch. When I say that I mean that the first package was a large box stuffed with newspaper/paper shreds and a smaller sealed box containing bubblewrapped eggs nested inside of that. Ontop of the inner box was the cool pack. This time, I got a large box with a few crumpled papers in it, with a smaller box rattling around inside of it. The sealed inner box had the sweating cold pack right ontop of the bubblewrapped eggs, air cells up, both times.

So.. they rested for 24 hours cuz it's standard, but my incubator wasn't ready so they are still resting but being slanted every couple of hours. The bator is almost ready for them, and we'll see how this goes.

Still very excited.
Oh, I ordered a dozen, received 16, 1 was broken and so there are 15 going in.

Sounds great! Even though the packaging might not have been that good the second time...sounds like the eggs made it fine to me! You even got 3 extra eggs to incubate!
Good Luck with the eggs I want to see plenty of poult pics! Are both orders of eggs from Bobby?
Have you found any other breeders to get some new bloodline?
smile.png

I am very excited to see what happens with these. Of course as I hear it everything is stacked against me, wrong season, shipped eggs, turkeys are fragile; dumb etc. But still... I'm a Pisces, we are unrealistically hopeful by nature, and so I moved forward with them anyhow.

Theres still 3 weeks until the first group hatches... boy that second dozen came quickly!

Both orders are from Porters, I don't know anyone well enough to remember first names. I am happy to see aircells up in the packaging for sure, from everything i've read, it's the best option for shipping.

Yep the round end should always be up! I think you will have a great hatch! You are going to want to get new bloodline into your flock though! I will keep my eyes peeled for any breeders I see.....And will let you know!
Can't wait to hear about and watch your project grow!
big_smile.png

:|
Tonight we candled eggs, both chicken & turkey. Of course we candled the first batch of turkey eggs that are currently on Day 8. Unfortunately, we lost 7/8 eggs. The one left looks strong & healthy to me, a novice, and is very active with good veins. The rest were clear as a light bulb. I'll crack them into the compost tomorrow but I'm sure there's nothing there.

Oh boy, we feel so bad for Turkey... I hope we get at least 1 from the 2nd batch. They may be a full week apart but at least they'll have eachother. Of course hatching is still 2 weeks away for our lone turkey, anything could happen still.

This morning I cracked the eggs we removed from the bator last night.
7 eggs cracked
5 infertile
2 fertile & not developed
So with the one growing thats 3/8 that were actually fertile.

OH BOY are turkey shells & membranes TOUGH! Turkeys that actually hatch have GOT to be strong!
smile.png

I got my 1898 standard the other day and it has the original buff turkey standard in it! I have always wanted buff turkeys, they look so pretty. When I started getting into the old standards I made it a 'goal' of sorts to get a standard that was old enough to have the buffs in it. One of these days I will get some turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom