WH new at egg laying...

Harley_Duck

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
Harley, my Welsh harlequin duck, is just over 24 weeks old. She started laying eggs 5 days ago (so she started laying at 23 weeks -ish ). For the first 4 days she laid an egg a day, which is normal (I thought). But now on day 5, no egg? Is this normal for new layers to stop?

About a week prior to her first egg she ate EVERYTHING that she could, ended up being about 2+ cups of the Mazuri maintenance waterfowl diet every day. Then once she started laying she was eating less than a 1/4 cup (her choice not mine...) daily until day 4 then she ate about 1 cup. Day 5 she didn't really eat much to quantify.

I know if they do not eat they are less likely to be able to produce eggs... But I don't understand why she decreased her eating amount then (probably consequently) stopped laying.

(some background, she is a single house duck that lives with 2 cats, and they all actually get along great! I have had her since she was 7 days old. I have no intention of breeding her. Eventually I will convert her to an outside duck, but she has some limiting handicaps (tendon torsion) that need to be fixed/addressed when constructing her outside area)

My ducks occasionally missed an egg or layed much later in the day. So, I can relate! But I am unsure how “normal” this is so I am interested in what others say. I assume it’s normal, maybe just fluctuations in the body.

Back
Top Bottom