What’s Bugging Bagheera?

Its the scientist in you...
We are so lucky to have resources that we can get these questions answered.
I have a Black Australorp and she's a terrible layer. Was Bagheera laying eggs regularly?
Bagheera was a laying MACHINE. Maybe my best layer ever. Laid through part of molting (which did not happen until she was 2 1/2.) Hoqever, her laying had definitely slowed down. s was never fat, never bloated, never lethargic, never dull... the only symptoms she ever showed were those puffed cheeks and throat, which seemed temporary, and a head flicking a couple days before that.

Today there were TWO slightly wrinkled eggs and Bagheera is no longer with us, so I’d like to find out once and for all what is ailing my flock, whether it killed Bagheera or not.

Eh. This is a true mystery.
Thank god for pathologists.
Rice hulls could not have killed her in that amount of time, even if there was some type of intestinal blockage.
Be sure to mention the respiratory when you get the prelim. Seems like they should be testing for ilt, ib, myco, but they’d have to see something on gross necropsy to warrant it.

Well, there you have it. I’m officially killing my chickens. Bagheera’s preliminary report has a diagnosis of fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. She was one of my smallest hens. I’m scared for the rest of them. I’m so bummed and feel horrible. Will share of anything changes with labs.

Well, there you have it. I’m officially killing my chickens. Bagheera’s preliminary report has a diagnosis of fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome. She was one of my smallest hens. I’m scared for the rest of them. I’m so bummed and feel horrible. Will share of anything changes with labs.
:hugs

Bagheera keeps shaking her head. I checked under her wings and around her vent for signs of lice or mites and didn’t see anything. Do I need to take a better look?

My flock has something respiratory, but nobody has symptoms right now. Last weekend I looked in Bagheera’s mouth and she looked clean.

I thought she might start molt when I noticed this behavior, but she hasn’t started yet and she still likes to cuddle.

I think it is somehow related to a respiratory issue or illness. One of my chickens does the exact same thing. From what I have read I think respiratory diseases and Chickens do not go away and sometimes they are well and then the symptoms manifest them self again.

Well, now Bagheera is doing this. She is acting perfectly normal otherwise. But see how her face and throat puff up when she breathes? I also think she looks ever so slightly swollen around the eyes. I have night meetings Monday, Tuesday AND Thursday this week, so it will be difficult to monitor her.

Hmm...Never seen that before.

Back
Top Bottom