What’s important to you about feed?

What’s important about your feed?

• Total voters
Pics
Where do you shop? Aldi here has canned beans around 75c (used to be 50c before inflation 2022), but I haven’t seen tuna under $1 in ages!

Subsidies, ability to accept snap/food stamps.

Subsidies from whom?

If you mean from the government I say that no farmers have any right to pick my pocket and take away the money I use to feed my own family in order to support a farming model that can't support itself.

Subsidies from whom?

If you mean from the government I say that no farmers have any right to pick my pocket and take away the money I use to feed my own family in order to support a farming model that can't support itself.
The farmers aren't the ones doing the pocket picking - that is purely Uncle Sam. There are many subsidies in big Ag. I don't think there are any for small operations that would supply a farmer's market. Maybe a small one to get them set up to take food stamps. I'll shut up now.

The farmers aren't the ones doing the pocket picking - that is purely Uncle Sam. There are many subsidies in big Ag. I don't think there are any for small operations that would supply a farmer's market. Maybe a small one to get them set up to take food stamps. I'll shut up now.
Maybe this isn't my business, not being from the US, but I've got to agree with you - the big guys take it all and the honest small businesses get screwed until there's nowhere else to go... but down!

When it comes to government involvement in ANY business I am a strict libertarian.

I believe that government should keep it's nose out of all businesses, large and small. No subsidies for anyone.

So if the problem is government subsidies for "Big Ag" then the answer is to eliminate those, not to pour more taxpayer money into other businesses. :)

When it comes to government involvement in ANY business I am a strict libertarian.

I believe that government should keep it's nose out of all businesses, large and small. No subsidies for anyone.

So if the problem is government subsidies for "Big Ag" then the answer is to eliminate those, not to pour more taxpayer money into other businesses. :)
At least it would be fair that way…

But I also agree with @BrooksHatlen if you can use food stamps/snap on Doritos, you should also be able to spend it at farmers markets…

In the poll, I chose No corn, no soy, non GMO, higher protein and organic. I think it is incredibly important.

I highly prioritize organic feed since corn is the most heavily sprayed crop in the US. The plant and corn its self is sprayed in pesticides, and RoundUp which contains glyphosate and causes cancer. Absolutely not something I want to be feeding my chickens.
RoundUp is sprayed on corn to increase the growth rate and production of crops, commonly right before harvest on plants that are not genetically engineered to dry out the crop so it is ready sooner than if left to dry naturally.
Not only are pesticides horrible for the consumer, but its horrible for the environment. Sprays will the soil ecosystem, and destroy whole point of a functional farm. With organic farming, this is avoided.
https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/glyphosate-contamination-food-goes-far-beyond-oat-products

Its a ton of nasty, I would absolutely never want to be giving my birds a direct dose of glyphosate in their food.

Non-GMO is important to me because GMO products are also heavily sprayed. That is the point really, to create a crop that will not be affected by herbicides, pesticides, and RoundUp for more efficient growing. Not something I want to give my chickens.
I choose no corn and soy since they are the two most heavily sprayed crops. Even organic feeds are not 100% organic, or are heavily spraying with organic pesticides. Not interested.

Protein is important to me because my birds do a lot of free ranging, and I prefer a higher protein to make sure they are not deficient. I also prefer to not have to switch feed in the winter, during molt, etc, etc.
What brand do you usually use?

This may have been said already but if the United States wasn't so spoiled with food having to look perfect without blemishes the hunger would be alot lower. The food waste here is unbelievable. Not even good enough to be fed to pigs
Also the government harassment that direct to consumer farmers have to go through. I understand the need for oversight of formal corporations and mass producers. But I also feel the average person is capable of making a decision as to whether he wants to buy fresh vegetables or local raised meat from his neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom