What’s in the egg yolks....

MCArt20

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2016
Last few eggs have these types of things in the yolks- anyone know what they are? Thanks
Mary

Attachments

• 416EE483-7956-4C17-9481-3380F30B4B56.jpeg
    416EE483-7956-4C17-9481-3380F30B4B56.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 14
Thank- you, that’s good info. I thought it was blood too at first but it’s always the same oval shapes with dark blotchy spots, almost like an insect .....but I just don’t know

Blood spots/meat spots.....normal

I don't have scientific research to back this up this up but IMHO blood spots on an egg yoke are systematic of predators or maye kids running around like wild Indians, scaring the bejesus out of your flock. I do think that blood spots are caused by internal hemorrhages in a hens' reproductive track. Maybe sustained when the hen panics and fly into the wire. I also believe that the chicken keeper can add to the problem by clumsily trying to corner or catch their hens, maybe in order to give them loving.

Last edited:
When the egg yolk is still an ova and needs to grow big enough to become a yolk, it is surrounded by a membrane that contains tiny blood vessels. Those blood vessels are what brings nutrients to it so it can grow. When the yolk is released to become part of an egg, that membrane splits so the yolk can be released. The membrane should split along a line that does not have any blood vessels going across it, but occasionally a blood vessel does grow across that clear area. So when the membrane splits blood gets on the yolk and becomes a blood spot.

I've noticed that blood spots are really common with certain hens while others hardly ever, if ever, get them. They are more common with pullets just learning to lay also, sometimes they grow out of it. If I can determine which hen consistently lays eggs with blood spots she does not become part of my breeding flock.

This video is about 10 minutes long but you can learn a lot about what really happens if you sit through it.

How an egg is made utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6j13-9Pexw

Back
Top Bottom