What’s the obsession over egg shell color?

Pics
last night i clipped all their wings because they kept flying over my 4 foot fence...so i banded them at the same time so i can track the 3-4 that are laying on the ground and block them in the nesting box...but in the future when i buy 25 chicks...i will prob get 4-6 different egg shell layers just to know who is in trouble ;)

When I decided to get and raise chickens for their eggs I got White Leghorns because they lay the most for the $$$. No one bought my eggs because they thought they were inferior store quality type eggs. Brown eggs is what everyone thinks of as farm raised. So I fed my extras to my dogs and enjoyed them myself and still do. We each do what works for us. I love Light Brahmas but they don't come close to the laying abilities or long term laying my White Leghorns do
What’s the obsession over egg shell color obsession..? Chickens are different as eggs from different chickens are.. It's all about diet and happiness quotient.. Free range eating grass, bugs and weed seed makes whites stand on their own to dark yellow yoke.. and FLAVOR! Never loved eggs so much! Now mine are penned and farm store fed.. Who knows what's in the stuff.. Color just adds variety for the eyes.. Surely there is a difference in taste.. Tastes change with age.. and are less sensitive. We are force fed bland foods including industrial farm eggs, fish, pork and beef. Love lamb chops but hard to find and too expensive. Unless you live in a Jewish community. You won't find any.. Flavorless and less than desirable processed food. Sugar in abundance, too much salt or not enough.. add chemicals you can not pronounce and you have the modern diet. The best I ever consumed was a free range goose egg! Huge and the fork literally stood up in the yoke! Amazing! My dogs will eat anything I cook, except on occasion. They can't even stomach my cooking.. if I can't. That's why they get it. You should see their faces..

When I got my chickens in May of last year I got Easter eggers because I only wanted blue or green eggs. Why? I just think they are cool and pretty. Of my 3 hens only one of them is laying a green egg, the other 2 are brown layers! But after waiting sooo long for eggs I don’t care that color they are, I’m just happy to have eggs from my girls. And all of them taste delicious regardless of the shell color. 🙂

When I got my chickens in May of last year I got Easter eggers because I only wanted blue or green eggs. Why? I just think they are cool and pretty. Of my 3 hens only one of them is laying a green egg, the other 2 are brown layers! But after waiting sooo long for eggs I don’t care that color they are, I’m just happy to have eggs from my girls. And all of them taste delicious regardless of the shell color. 🙂
Have 30 plus chickens.. Can't count em' as they move around too much.. Just recieved 5 new ones from family.. Three have feathers on their feet, large and white with some black. They were free range but it's winter. The feather foot ones couldn't care less as they are fed and watered daily. One Barred Rock gives me the evil eye and moves away.. never seen that one. CRANKY! No white eggs so far as discribed. Chickens do not like change any more than I.. but it is winter. Had a green egg layer once, but the flock took her out.. Perhaps they were green with envy.. Farm store fed are no way as good as free range.. Try it you'll like it.. If you can. Live too close to the road now and chickens cross the road as cows find grass always greener on the other side of the fence.

Farm store fed are no way as good as free range.. Try it you'll like it.. If you can. Live too close to the road now and chickens cross the road as cows find grass always greener on the other side of the fence.
The most many of us can hope for is part-time free-ranging or supervised-only free-ranging in our backyards. Those that can't even manage that, can at least feed scrap veggies and/or fodder. Any of those are definitely better than commercial feed-only setups.

I sell eggs to guys I work with. I have my own section in the work fridge. Lol
Right now I only have one green egg layer so its just chance if you happen to get a green egg. One guy said him and his wife are feeling left out since they haven't gotten a green egg yet. Lol
Another always wants my quail eggs.

Another place I worked one guy would sort through the eggs and get himself all blue eggs. He claimed they tasted better.

...don’t they all taste the same?

growing up...i am 41...we always had brown eggs and that was “weird” to my friends. they would question eating an egg that had a brown shell...now it’s common place in the grocery store as if it’s better than a white egg.

What’s the obsession over egg shell color?
I agree it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The only difference in taste would be present if there was a difference in the breed of bird.
We eat Easter Eggars, whites, and browns… All delicious

Because they're pretty. Variety is the spice of life.

I've got one cream legbar who lays blue eggs, she's 2.5 yrs old.
I unfortunately just had to cull my easter egger (green eggs) last week.
I've also got a white leghorn (white eggs), a red sexlink (darker brown eggs), a barred rock (light brown and speckled), and a speckled sussex (light brown).
I like that I can not only tell my chickens apart, but I can tell their eggs apart.

I remember a commercial as a kid 'brown eggs are local eggs & local eggs are fresh'. I think it was like the New England Egg Council or something that made the little jingle but because of it I always considered store bought white eggs commercial eggs & the brown eggs we got from the chicken farm up the road fresh eggs. I might have been almost an adult by the time I realized egg color was due to chicken breed & nothing else! :lau

Does anyone else remember that commercial? I do believe it's just a New England thing.

Back
Top Bottom