What’s the obsession over egg shell color?

Pics
I have both breeds and keep them separate but I liked hearing that you have crossed them , do the cross bread lay more , in that my Welsummers 8/9 months old went from 7 a day to 1 every so often in about November and the Americana at 6/7 months just started laying in november and have been getting more eggs as days pass if i can cross breed them and get eggs all winter long that will be great and they are Dual Purpose so the total package will be great . can you post a picture of the crossed chickens?

White eggs are easier to candle and remove ones with meat spots or internal defects. It is likely why the grocery stores have mainly white eggs.

As to store eggs all tasting like store eggs, I do not find that to be true.

We eat with our eyes first.
The super cheap eggs are pale and watery. That is unappealing to those who have farm fresh eggs.
I personally have difficulties eating them. Not from the looks but from a physical reaction. I get intense abdominal pain from most store eggs.
I went a decade after moving back into town not eating a single egg. As soon as chickens were made legal here I was on it!
This year my hens are taking a full break. I had to buy eggs. The only ones in the stores here before Thanksgiving were the cheaper eggs. I bought them, made deviled eggs, ate ONE and spent 4 days in pain.
There definitely are differences between eggs of different brands, "free range" vs cage kept.

Going forward I will make certain I have a couple young birds going into every winter.

As to color preferences many people just like all the variety of colors readily available now.

Edited to add: I DID find one brand of store egg I can eat without a reaction. Not cheap at all but certainly superior to other in store eggs.
I have the same reaction when eating store eggs, but I have no clue why? I never have the same issues with eggs from my backyard hens. Do you happen to know why? I thought possibly I am having a reaction the antibiotics? or possible injections the store hens receive?

I have the same reaction when eating store eggs, but I have no clue why? I never have the same issues with eggs from my backyard hens. Do you happen to know why? I thought possibly I am having a reaction the antibiotics? or possible injections the store hens receive?
A lot of things can potentially cause a difference in reaction. Possibly differences in feed such as soy, wheat, etc?

Not sure what you mean about antibiotics. Do you mean medicated chick feed? The common coccidiosis medicine that chicks sometimes receive is discontinued long before they are layers.

They are not permitted to use antibiotics on animals producing food items.

It has to be something in their feed.
I am able to eat Vital Farms store bought eggs so they must be on different feed.

I didn't know that, maybe it's time for me to get a food sensitivity test, lol.
Seriously. That is a good idea. I'd bet you have some type of grain allergy based on your reaction. If so, you might want to eliminate it from your diet and be careful about eating eggs, meat, etc. from animals that eat that grain as well.

All the above plus more.. your store bought food is poison.. Slow, but effective.. There was a day when you could buy tetracyclen in bulk at the farm store.. It was so abused it created super viruses.. Today, the only thing you can find is fish biotics.. Same stuff.. Would sugest a supply in your medicine cabinet for your certain uncertain future.. Egging on! You are what you eat and what eats you.. Good Luck

...don’t they all taste the same?

growing up...i am 41...we always had brown eggs and that was “weird” to my friends. they would question eating an egg that had a brown shell...now it’s common place in the grocery store as if it’s better than a white egg.

What’s the obsession over egg shell color?
When I decided to get and raise chickens for their eggs I got White Leghorns because they lay the most for the $$$. No one bought my eggs because they thought they were inferior store quality type eggs. Brown eggs is what everyone thinks of as farm raised. So I fed my extras to my dogs and enjoyed them myself and still do. We each do what works for us. I love Light Brahmas but they don't come close to the laying abilities or long term laying my White Leghorns do

When I decided to get and raise chickens for their eggs I got White Leghorns because they lay the most for the $$$. No one bought my eggs because they thought they were inferior store quality type eggs. Brown eggs is what everyone thinks of as farm raised. So I fed my extras to my dogs and enjoyed them myself and still do. We each do what works for us. I love Light Brahmas but they don't come close to the laying abilities or long term laying my White Leghorns do
i grew up on brown eggs but will prob switch to white after this flock.

Back
Top Bottom