What’s this?

Carlie59

Songster
Jan 14, 2020
Farmville, Va
My chicks are 3 weeks old and I’ve noticed a couple of them kinda squatting and trying to roll... is this them just trying to dust bathe or is something wrong with them? I’ve got em out in the sunshine today so here’s a pic of one of them doing it. She seems totally fine otherwise.

Attachments

• DD84CE02-4DE5-43F6-B1A2-0D1A2358B0A1.jpeg
    DD84CE02-4DE5-43F6-B1A2-0D1A2358B0A1.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 7
My chicks are 3 weeks old and I’ve noticed a couple of them kinda squatting and trying to roll... is this them just trying to dust bathe or is something wrong with them? I’ve got em out in the sunshine today so here’s a pic of one of them doing it. She seems totally fine otherwise.
Cute chicks!
I agree - it sounds like they are catching some rays and attempting to dust bathe- find them a little loose dirt to lounge in. I LOVE watching chicks dust bathe - just tooo cute.

Cute chicks!
I agree - it sounds like they are catching some rays and attempting to dust bathe- find them a little loose dirt to lounge in. I LOVE watching chicks dust bathe - just tooo cute.
Thank you! I’m getting more and more attached every day lol of course they’re supposed to be dual purpose for us so hopefully I can handle em being dinner when the time comes 🤦‍♀️

Thank you! I’m getting more and more attached every day lol of course they’re supposed to be dual purpose for us so hopefully I can handle em being dinner when the time comes 🤦‍♀️
Oh, you do get attached.
How many are you going to keep for eggs?

I've only processed a few of mine, it wasn't too bad, but I wasn't attached to them either.

I’m gonna keep this whole group for eggs till production starts to wane and then we will process the least productive ladies. I’m hoping I’ll have one go broody next year and can hatch some. We’ll use those chicks to replace the ones we process and also process the additional cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom