What’s up with my Rooster

Shelleyb2010

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
I have this little silkie roo, he is 2 yrs old. Doesn’t mount or crow. I was given advice to get him multiple hens and he would start acting like a rooster. So I did. Nothing has changed. (Never got any eggs out of it either, in two years) I attached a pic so you all could see. I do have a roo, right? I am still pretty new in the silkie world.
0A13290E-85F6-4BEE-9C70-6AD801C03964.jpeg

Right! It’s been long enough for something. I will have to do some research on ovarian failure. I didn’t know that could happen.
It is not common, but not impossible.
Some never start laying eggs and some start to lay and then stop.
I have a hen like this. She is not a Silkie, though. She’s an Easter egg mix. She laid one gorgeous teal blue egg when she was about 6 months old and had not laid since. She’s a sweetheart though, so she gets to stick around anyway.😊

I have this little silkie roo, he is 2 yrs old. Doesn’t mount or crow. I was given advice to get him multiple hens and he would start acting like a rooster. So I did. Nothing has changed. (Never got any eggs out of it either, in two years) I attached a pic so you all could see. I do have a roo, right? I am still pretty new in the silkie world.View attachment 3057465
This bird looks more like a hen to me. It could be a hen with ovarian failure which could give it more male like characteristics.
Would also explain why it hasn’t laid any eggs. Silkies are often late layers but at two years of age you would’ve expected it by now.🤔

I have a hen like this. She is not a Silkie, though. She’s an Easter egg mix. She laid one gorgeous teal blue egg when she was about 6 months old and had not laid since. She’s a sweetheart though, so she gets to stick around anyway.😊
This one is really sweet too. He just hates shoes so he attacks your feet sometimes but we raised him from a chick so regardless he/she stays. I just may have to get an actual roo to go with my silkie flock.

I attached a picture of one of the other silkies I have. I think it’s a hen but it’s not laying yet, it’s still pretty young. What do you think?

Attachments

• 80A6603A-CDD2-4675-9D84-93507986AA56.jpeg
    80A6603A-CDD2-4675-9D84-93507986AA56.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 61697EA8-2809-48EE-9074-2136632A59CD.jpeg
    61697EA8-2809-48EE-9074-2136632A59CD.jpeg
    573.6 KB · Views: 3
Do you have multiple roosters? In my flock, my lowest roosters never crow or mount. I also feel like I saw somewhere that silkies don't crow al lot.. may have made that part up.
I’ve heard that they don’t crow a lot also. Up until a few weeks ago, he was the only rooster I have. I just got a couple roosters for my other chickens but the silkies stay in a separate area than they do.

This bird looks more like a hen to me. It could be a hen with ovarian failure which could give it more male like characteristics.
Would also explain why it hasn’t laid any eggs. Silkies are often late layers but at two years of age you would’ve expected it by now.🤔

Right! It’s been long enough for something. I will have to do some research on ovarian failure. I didn’t know that could happen.

Back
Top Bottom