What’s wrong with my chicken?

yes, scuffle.... our yearling roo has been a bit of a bully lately and I’m wondering if he didn’t get rough with her. The new flock of young gals have integrated well into the old biddies but he’s had a slight attitude lately. I’ll look up that recipe!

:goodpost: I have to remember this for future reference in case this happens in my flock. Thank you.
Another thing to remember - and this step gets missed a lot - is, once you have finished the whole course of Corid (several days,) be sure to follow up with a complete poultry vitamin that includes B-complex. Amprolium works by "starving" the coccidia of B vitamins - and your chickens will need it replaced quickly. We almost lost a show rooster over "the cure," but he popped back within hours of getting the vitamins. He's my gorgeous miracle boy!

I have poo. Doesn’t look pretty

Attachments

• 97346AC0-6E7D-4FE2-B5D8-E884B9826D58.jpeg
    97346AC0-6E7D-4FE2-B5D8-E884B9826D58.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 10
I went and got some Corid. Does anyone know if I can give the sick gal an individual dose in addition to treating the entire flock and what the dosage is?

I'm sorry to say, that doesn't look like you need corid.

Can she move her legs and wings? Will she eat or just peck a bit and not show interest really?

Aww man! She gobbled up meal worms and just pecks at scrambled eggs. She’s also drinking. She’s in the screen porch. At times she’ll pick her head up for a while, but then it’ll drop again, and her wings are hanging down, but she is walking around.

Attachments

• 6AE04F43-C70F-4C52-8176-EEAA134BAE9C.jpeg
    6AE04F43-C70F-4C52-8176-EEAA134BAE9C.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry to say, that doesn't look like you need corid.

Can she move her legs and wings? Will she eat or just peck a bit and not show interest really?
Absolutely - Be sure of what you're dealing with before you dose her! Don't give the Corid unless and until you know what you're dealing with. It's important to have it on hand, though, should it be needed. If it is coccidiosis, you'll need it right away. If it isn't, then giving the Corid will deprive your hen of vitamins she needs to fight her issues.
I've got my fingers crossed for you and your girl!
:fl :fl :fl :fl

Aww man! She gobbled up meal worms and just pecks at scrambled eggs. She’s also drinking. She’s in the screen porch. At times she’ll pick her head up for a while, but then it’ll drop again, and her wings are hanging down, but she is walking around.

Don't panic. Keep her inside for a day or two and observe her to see how things go. Make sure she has plenty of clean, fresh water and access to food and monitor how much she eats. Nutridrench or electrolytes probably won't hurt.

You said no one else is behaving strangely so it likely rules out botulism. No moldy feed? Could she have eaten something poisonous? A plant or something in your run or yard?

No moldy feed, and I was pondering if she could have gotten into a plant or something but there’s nothing I’m aware of. No one else is behaving oddly and the flock has roamed the property for a long time. I’d assume if there was something that would make them sick, I’d have witnessed it before today. But maybe not. I’ll have to investigate that. She has perked up a bit and was walking around chatting a bit. I had some chick electrolytes I added to her water. I’m so confused by her behavior but fingers crossed she pulls through and recovers.

Back
Top Bottom