What’s wrong with my hen?

Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
This is all regarding my last couple of posts about a sick(?) BR: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/botulism-marek’s-disease.1426247/post-23474571

I still have no idea what’s wrong with my hen, and I’m afraid of not finding out until it’s too late. She’s been relatively lethargic for the last week-ish, and yesterday when I went out to check the coop I noticed her balance wasn’t the best, and this morning her poop was bright green(in the other posts I have a lot more detail about everything, including videos of what her balance is looking like, her poop, etc.). She’s definitely thin, but she’s still eating and drinking normally. About four days ago I noticed her just sitting in the middle of the yard while the other hens were all up and pecking away at the ground. When I went out to see if she was okay, she just got up and sat down a few feet away from where she was before. She hasn’t done it since that day, though. I started giving her vitamin B complex last night, and she actually seemed to be a little bit more active today. I saw her running around a little bit, was outside in the snow with everyone else, and her wobble was still prominent but a little less. She still flies up to the roost with everyone else every night, so I think that’s a good sign? Her vision still seems completely fine, her skin isn’t rough around her feathers or anything, her iris’ aren’t grey, and it doesn’t seems as though she’s becoming paralyzed, just a bit weak. I’m so nervous it’s Marek’s, as I have nine other girls as well, but I don’t want to jump to the worst conclusions either, and these are pretty common signs for quite a few things. Just trying to get to the bottom of this!!

This is all regarding my last couple of posts about a sick(?) BR: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/botulism-marek’s-disease.1426247/post-23474571

I still have no idea what’s wrong with my hen, and I’m afraid of not finding out until it’s too late. She’s been relatively lethargic for the last week-ish, and yesterday when I went out to check the coop I noticed her balance wasn’t the best, and this morning her poop was bright green(in the other posts I have a lot more detail about everything, including videos of what her balance is looking like, her poop, etc.). She’s definitely thin, but she’s still eating and drinking normally. About four days ago I noticed her just sitting in the middle of the yard while the other hens were all up and pecking away at the ground. When I went out to see if she was okay, she just got up and sat down a few feet away from where she was before. She hasn’t done it since that day, though. I started giving her vitamin B complex last night, and she actually seemed to be a little bit more active today. I saw her running around a little bit, was outside in the snow with everyone else, and her wobble was still prominent but a little less. She still flies up to the roost with everyone else every night, so I think that’s a good sign? Her vision still seems completely fine, her skin isn’t rough around her feathers or anything, her iris’ aren’t grey, and it doesn’t seems as though she’s becoming paralyzed, just a bit weak. I’m so nervous it’s Marek’s, as I have nine other girls as well, but I don’t want to jump to the worst conclusions either, and these are pretty common signs for quite a few things. Just trying to get to the bottom of this!!
Have you checked her feet. Could her balance be a foot problems. Maybe bumble foot.

Continue with the B complex daily. Sometimes improvement is quite rapid, sometimes it takes a bit longer. There is no risk of overdosing the B's, they are water soluble and any extra will be excreted. Other than the tests for Marek's mentioned in your other thread, there is nothing else you can do for that other than supportive care, there is no treatment for Marek's. Vitamin deficiencies are not uncommon and can be reversed if done soon enough and they can live normally after that.
The only other thing that I could recommend, if you want to try to cover all the bases, is a fecal test to rule out any internal parasites, and to check for any bacterial infection. Point of lay is a stressor on their bodies, so commonly a time that issues can show up.

Just gave her a soak in a warm epsom bath. Noticed these little black dots on her comb?

Attachments

• 2D8A4347-222B-4303-B79E-21F0A928E0EB.jpeg
    2D8A4347-222B-4303-B79E-21F0A928E0EB.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 3
  • C5306BC1-0147-45D2-987D-FF9961A4C5FF.jpeg
    C5306BC1-0147-45D2-987D-FF9961A4C5FF.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 3
They are very tiny, hard to see. My guess is pecking marks. If she is not acting normally she may be picked on or attacked.

Back
Top Bottom