What’s wrong with my pullets?! They will hardly try any fresh fruit or veggie scraps

Henrybelle

Songster
Apr 22, 2018
Northern California
It’s not like I’m offering them rotten or moldy not even wilty scraps , literally fresh scraps and they want nothing to with them?! Lettuce nope! Watermelon nah! Cucumber fat chance! A couple will appear interested but they taste once or twice and look at me like I’m crazy. Am I crazy? They are around 5 weeks old and I have been randomly offering them different things since the beginning but they’ve never shown any interest. The only thing do like is corn which I have only using for about a week just to get them back for “lock down” after a day outside and I try not to give them very much as know it has hardly any nutritional value and has a high sugar content. But why deny the watermelon ?! I’m so confused...

Another option might be to offer it cut into bite sizes. What I like to do is give it a few pulses in my blender. My girls were also suspicious of kitchen scraps at that age, and the bigger, the scarier. As far as melons go, they would only eat the seeds for the longest time.

Hey are outside majority of the day and have plenty of access to grit so no worries there. But otherwise I guess I’ll just waste a little longer. I just wanted them to eat some of the scraps instead of sending it all to the compost. I can be patient I think...

Back
Top Bottom